General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

Re: February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Hard Freeze Warning ⚠️

Post by jasons2k » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:23 pm

unome wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:17 pm
srainhoutx wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:05 pm
Interesting to read the ERCOT provided a 40 second public comment on February 9th about "winter weather" could impact Texas. Seems to me that the alarm bells were being sounded around the end of January to only increase in the very early days of February that something "Historic" was on the horizon. Everyone was impacted from this winter weather event including my Family. My 87 year old Mom was walking around a soggy apartment with wet shoes and soaked socks after the pipes froze and burst with no power until my Sister convinced her it was time to go. Those that mocked the CAT 5 potential were very irresponsible. Thankfully we have a incredibly knowledgeable Weather Community that offered fantastic sound advice to those that were searching for answers.
So sorry to hear of everything your poor mom had to endure, Srain :( I hope things get better for her soon.

It was well forecast & we do have an incredible weather community here - thanks so much for your efforts to make this board a success, it has helped so many
Indeed. I hope your Mom, family and friends are OK!

Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Katdaddy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:08 pm

This has been an epic Winter weather event for Texas and yes I feels it correlates to a CAT 3-5 event. Bottom line, you can be negative and hide or be positive and help. Just locally, neighbors were helping neighbors with generators and extension cords. Power off for 36 hours at our house. Candles and flash lights.

jasons2k

Re: February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

Post by jasons2k » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:58 am

Had a low of 26.8. A little warmer than forecast. Fine by me. The cleanup begins.

djmike

Post by djmike » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:03 pm

Got to 30 when forecasted 28. Absolutely fine by me. Suns out! Warming up! Tearing down all prep (Leaving outside prep...since we are still in Feb). But just cleaned house. Heater off. Fans back on regular flow. Time for normalcy. This will be a week to remember. Oh the ease of mind I have now that the last crazy freeze night has passed. ...so far. Never looked so forward to spring then now... Have a great blessed day.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)

djmike

Post by djmike » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:49 pm

Is it too early to start the March thread? Im over February. Lol
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)

jasons2k

Post by jasons2k » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:16 pm

Kinda scary how close we can to having physical damage to the power infrastructure. This article is good but I have read some others where we came really close to transmission lines catching fire, and then a cascading effect of transformers and substations getting fried. Thank god that didn't happen.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... f=5dj0X2VO

Ted

Post by Ted » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:20 pm

Well, all the winter/cold weather enthusiasts got what they dream of...lots of suffering and monetary losses for millions of people...

TXWeatherMan

Post by TXWeatherMan » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:33 pm

Ted wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:20 pm
Well, all the winter/cold weather enthusiasts got what they dream of...lots of suffering and monetary losses for millions of people...
I don’t think anybody dreams of getting into single digits and having pipes burst and losing power. I love winter storms but anything under 20 degrees is too cold and can cause major damage as seen with this storm.

Ted

Post by Ted » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:50 pm

TXWeatherMan wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:33 pm
Ted wrote:
I don’t think anybody dreams of getting into single digits and having pipes burst and losing power. I love winter storms but anything under 20 degrees is too cold and can cause major damage as seen with this storm.
Oh, I understand. You and I love different things...freezing weather is not one of mine...

jasons2k

Post by jasons2k » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:50 pm

TXWeatherMan wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:33 pm
Ted wrote:
Been saying it for years, since this forum went online. Lived in the '93 "superstorm" in Birmingham and lost power for over a week after 16" of snow. It's all fun and games until the power goes out. If I'm gonna see a blizzard or record cold, I'd rather experience it in a place where the infrastructure is equipped to handle it. I get the whole unique experience of 'nothing like in your own back yard' but the older I get it's just not worth the hassle when stuff starts to hit the fan.

My friends in Austin still do not have water with no immediate end in sight. FUN FUN FUN - NOT!