February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
don

I'm so thankful and blessed i never lost power,even though everyone around me did.I think its because im on the same grid as the AT&T administration building down the street.It will be interesting to see how far east the area of snow moves into the area,i think there could be some surprises today. ;)
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TxLady wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:30 am
Did you lose power with a whole house generator? We are thinking of purchasing one.
No, mine automatically switches over to running on propane. Because we are "rural", we don't have city utilities (water, natural gas, etc). So, ours is Propane. Honestly, one of the best investments, ever.
Yep. We are going to shop as soon as the kerfuffle settles down. What brand is your generator? ( I am asking because others might be considering this ...ie. hurricane season)
jasons2k

They are getting a decent snowstorm towards San Antonio and Del Rio. Normally I’d be excited but at this point I want warm weather back. I don’t care if it snows or not just keep the lights on please.
TxLady

What brand is your generator?
I have a 20Kw Generac Brand.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TxLady wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:01 am
Thank you again for all the information you provided. We appreciate it.
DoctorMu

TxLady wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:52 am
Now seriously thinking about a natural gas or propane generator. Am worried about the cost but...
Mine was about $9k...in 2008. Because, we are on a well, when the electricity goes out...we also lose water. After suffering through several Hurricane aftermaths, I took the plunge and got one installed. It has served me (and family) well, over the years! And, I am extremely thankful to have had it during this winter mess. I only thought it would be good to have in the summer time, with no AC! This cold was no joke!

Edited to Add: If you have the capability of using a propane tank, and a propane generator, I think that would be a good option. I'm seeing where people are now losing natural gas pressure, in their homes. I have a 250 gallon propane tank. So, no need to worry about natural gas pressure, or city supplied interruptions.
Good point about gas pressure. Yeah, I've guestimated about $10K to install a generator that could run A/C in hurricane season/summer. For sure, I'm going to have some insulation blown into a few walls...to save on summer and winter bills. It's amazing how insufficient insulation is around here in houses and buildings. Historical for SETX, but we'd get this weather every other year in Greensboro, NC and every 5-6 years in Greenville, NC. This is mild winter weather in Chicago!

Tables are turned a bit on the east coast during summer heat waves!
cperk

TxLady wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:01 am
If i had gas in my subdivision i would own one unfortunately we are all electric.
Snakeswx

jasons2k wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 am They are getting a decent snowstorm towards San Antonio and Del Rio. Normally I’d be excited but at this point I want warm weather back. I don’t care if it snows or not just keep the lights on please.
A friend in New Braunfels said she had over an inch of fresh snow on the patio about an hour ago.. said it was snowing pretty hard earlier
Snakeswx

Have light snow coming down now just north of thewoodlands
TXWeatherMan

Decent flurry near Lake Conroe.
sambucol

DoctorMu wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:40 am
Did you lose power with a whole house generator? We are thinking of purchasing one.
No, mine automatically switches over to running on propane. Because we are "rural", we don't have city utilities (water, natural gas, etc). So, ours is Propane. Honestly, one of the best investments, ever.
Now seriously thinking about a natural gas or propane generator. Am worried about the cost but...
I bought a Generac 22KW standby generator with an auto transition switch last March. Runs on natural gas. Ran the entire house through this ordeal.first outage was 24 hours. Then they were several hours. Several outages. Worth every penny.
DoctorMu

sambucol wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:55 am

I bought a Generac 22KW standby generator with an auto transition switch last March. Runs on natural gas. Ran the entire house through this ordeal.first outage was 24 hours. Then they were several hours. Several outages. Worth every penny.
Crunched the numbers again - need a 36W - 11K without installation.
bdog38

whats up with radar? sleet and snow right outside of houston some is already here.
skidog48
sambucol

DoctorMu wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:01 pm
sambucol wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:55 am

Crunched the numbers again - need a 36W - 11K without installation.
I’m thinking you meant a 36kw generator. 22KW is the largest in the residential line, but they do have commercial ones that would most likely meet your need.
art3

Thinking of generac also. Dad on cpap and I have autoimmune issues. Idk though looks expensive. Also in sw houston will the freeze require drip again?
sambucol

art3 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:06 pm Thinking of generac also. Dad on cpap and I have autoimmune issues. Idk though looks expensive. Also in sw houston will the freeze require drip again?
If a standby generator is a medical necessity, ask his physician to write a letter stating that. From what I understand it is a tax deductible medical expense when you file your return for the year you bought it and installed it.
art3

Hmm really? Will check
jasons2k

I want one, but I need to build swimming pool 2.0 first.

Hopefully this year is the year.
davidiowx

The snow is so close, yet so far. Doesn't look like it will make it here after all.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

davidiowx wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:23 pm The snow is so close, yet so far. Doesn't look like it will make it here after all.
You never know
  • Information