February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
davidiowx

Where did everyone go lol
don

Are we getting lake effect snow here in Houston right now...

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/i ... 00-usa-rad
Cromagnum

davidiowx wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:32 am Where did everyone go lol
No power likely. Means no home wifi, and possibly even no power to cell towers in some cases.
don

The clouds are coming back and snow flurries are starting to pick up here in the heights again.I think it could be lake effect snow but im not 100% sure.
AtascocitaWX

So is rain or freezing rain for Wednesday?
Cpv17

don wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:44 am The clouds are coming back and snow flurries are starting to pick up here in the heights again.I think it could be lake effect snow but im not 100% sure.
We’re getting light snow flurries here and it’s partly cloudy out there lol what the heck! Got down to 12 with a wind chill of -4 and now we’re up to 13.
Last edited by Cpv17 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
megsy

Flurries here in South Katy still. We have power — pipes are starting to burst in the neighborhood. Just filled the tubs.
jasons2k

I've been away playing in the ice and snow with the kids, taking pictures, etc. First time I put on the snow shoes in Houston. 18 here with on an off flurries/light snow showers. Typical squeezing of the moisture out. Saw it on the DFW radar yesterday.
Last edited by jasons2k on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waded

I have a 4x4 equipped with severe snow rated tires, so I decided to do some sight-seeing.
Attachments
Nassau Bay
Nassau Bay
Galveston Beach
Galveston Beach
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston
Waded

More pics.
Attachments
Birds Don't Care
Birds Don't Care
Seabrook
Seabrook
Misty Sea
Misty Sea
Very calm Galveston Beach
Very calm Galveston Beach
don

There appears to be bands setting up from the wind flow off of Lake Conroe.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Midday Monday weather briefing from Jeff:

Extraordinary cold air mass continues to move into the region.

Regional infrastructure is either frozen or freezing and significant hardships, hazards, and challenges will continue for the next few days.

Temperatures remain in the teens across the area with winds of 10-20mph and wind chills in the -10 to 10 degree range.

Road conditions remain hazardous and nearly completely impassable and travel continues to be strongly discouraged.

Very cold air flow over the warm lakes over the region are producing bands of lake effect snow downstream of Lake Livingston and Lake Conroe. Additionally, the very cold air passing over the heat of petro-chemical plants is resulting in light flurries and snow.

Low temperatures tonight will potentially rival all time record lows for the region. Expect most areas north of I-10 to fall below 10 degrees and even some locations south of I-10 may drop below 10. Expect mid 10’s along the coast and the beaches. This will be a devastating freeze. Widespread damage to infrastructure is likely.

Wind chills in the -15 to 5 degree range will continue into Tuesday. Persons should limit outside exposure and have all skin covered.

Those without power should attempt to conserve as much heat as possible in their homes...close all window blinds, place towels and blankets near the door and windows, layer blankets and clothes.

Next Winter Storm:

Temperatures will likely not warm above freezing on Tuesday as a new winter storm approaches the area from the west. There remain lots of uncertainty where the freezing line will be located Tuesday night into Wednesday morning as rain begins over the region. Forecast soundings show a favorable freezing rain profile if surface temperatures remain below freezing. Most concerns about areas north of I-10, but where exactly the freezing line is will need to be monitored for P-type.

Portions, especially coastal, and maybe I-10 corridor may rise above freezing for a few hours Wednesday afternoon, but then near and north of I-10 fall back below freezing Wednesday night. Any melting on Wednesday afternoon will likely refreeze Wednesday night into Thursday morning. Precipitation should end early Thursday.

While P-type remains uncertain over the area, precipitation amounts with this storm system look heavier than the one last night and for those areas in freezing rain…significant ice accumulation is possible resulting in crippling ice.

Forecast will continue refine over the next 36 hours for the next storm system.

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
davidiowx

Snow flurries here in Richmond as well for the past 15-20 min. Some flakes are pretty large!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The atmosphere will wring out every bit of moisture with this bitter cold air mass with low dew points.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
gent500

Getting snow flurries here in the Heights now also
davidiowx

With the next system anticipated to have heavier precip, is that due to the low being closer to the coast, which will also result in rain for those south of I-10? How cool would it be if that brought some snow too..
Cpv17

davidiowx wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:16 pm With the next system anticipated to have heavier precip, is that due to the low being closer to the coast, which will also result in rain for those south of I-10? How cool would it be if that brought some snow too..
Yeah it needs to be topped off with a foot of snow for all of southeast TX lol
davidiowx

Cpv17 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:18 pm
davidiowx wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:16 pm With the next system anticipated to have heavier precip, is that due to the low being closer to the coast, which will also result in rain for those south of I-10? How cool would it be if that brought some snow too..
Yeah it needs to be topped off with a foot of snow for all of southeast TX lol
One can dream!
Kingwood36

Flurries in angleton..tiny but still flurries
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov//GOES1 ... 00x600.gif

Cool visible imagery of the snow/sleet/ice cover across Texas. Even the "lake effect " snow plumes are showing up.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information