February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Tx2005

cperk wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:45 am
Tx2005 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:35 am Question about types of pipes. The pipes in my attic running from the water heater down are red and blue. That means they are pex right? Doesn’t that reduce my risk of a pipe burst?
Yes they are pex and because they can expand and go back t it's normal diameter does reduce your chances of a burst.
Thank god. I’ve been pretty worried. I covered up a couple open spots in the piping near the water heater (the rest in the attic looks well insulated). Insulted the outside spigots. Will be dripping the faucets overnight and opening the cabinets.

I hope all of that, plus having PEX piping will help prevent issues.
TexasBreeze

srainhoutx wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:38 am Hey Gang. Make sure to post your pictures for this event! We are going to leave this Topic intact with the Current Title so everyone can see it in the future. This is going to be a Historic Winter Weather Event that will be remembered forever! Stay safe and warm and Stay Off The Roads!!!

I like Lit Photo for compressing and resizing you pictures for out Platform. It's free and easy to use.
The whole state- all counties and the whole coast now is under the winter storm warning.
Attachments
US-1.png
Last edited by TexasBreeze on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tx2005

davidiowx wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:46 am Yes blue and red are PEX pipes. They can expand to allow water to freeze better than a standard pipe, but they still freeze. While the pipe bursting is less likely, you would still not have water if the PEX pipes are frozen. Keep that in mind.
Any advice on what to do if they do freeze? My wife will be here alone with our baby since I’ll likely be stuck at work during this event. I’m trying to make sure she knows what to do.
davidiowx

Tx2005 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:49 am
davidiowx wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:46 am Yes blue and red are PEX pipes. They can expand to allow water to freeze better than a standard pipe, but they still freeze. While the pipe bursting is less likely, you would still not have water if the PEX pipes are frozen. Keep that in mind.
Any advice on what to do if they do freeze? My wife will be here alone with our baby since I’ll likely be stuck at work during this event. I’m trying to make sure she knows what to do.
Best thing to do is keep cabinets open so heat can get in and keep the sinks dripping a small stream of water at night.
TXWeatherMan

Kingwood36 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:43 am Where do I go to get REAL accurate data on Temps in my city? So many different apps say different stuff
Wunderground is a really good app
djmike

Sleeting and snow flurries in beaumont right now from this passing moisture. Precursor!!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Ace

Would you please clarify how to post a pic?

I see the photo icon but when I try to insert a JPEG in between the code it didn’t work

srainhoutx wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:38 am Hey Gang. Make sure to post your pictures for this event! We are going to leave this Topic intact with the Current Title so everyone can see it in the future. This is going to be a Historic Winter Weather Event that will be remembered forever! Stay safe and warm and Stay Off The Roads!!!

I like Lit Photo for compressing and resizing you pictures for out Platform. It's free and easy to use.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ace wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:20 pm Would you please clarify how to post a pic?

I see the photo icon but when I try to insert a JPEG in between the code it didn’t work

When posting, to the bottom left you should see an Attachment tab. Click that tab and you'll see attach file button. Click that and select the photo/image you have saved on your phone or computer. That will prompt a loading bar and the the file name when the upload is complete. Make sure you have some comment and then you can preview to check if you photo/image it correct and then click submit.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Cromagnum

vci_guy2003 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:40 am I tried to drain the water from my back flow preventer on my sprinkler system, but it water keeps flowing. Will I be ok if I just wrap the PVC pipes?
There are usually two screws on those. Open both, but make sure you throw the main to closed on it (usually underneath it).
AtascocitaWX

My temp gauge says 29 here in atascocita. Was 32 about 90mins ago .Starting to drop.
MontgomeryCoWx

I have freezing drizzle and pretty much been that way all morning.
Team #NeverSummer
TxLady

I haven't read ALL the posts; so, ignore if this is a repeat. Be sure to remove any water/sodas/food from your vehicles! I am the world's worst for leaving a half empty water bottle in my truck's cup holder. Starting to see some "baby" icicles from my roof. Yall stay Safe & Warm! :)
Ace

As always, Srain, you are awesome. Thank you ever so much for explaining that one. Hope you’re enjoying all the cold up there.

srainhoutx wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:26 pm
Ace wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:20 pm Would you please clarify how to post a pic?

When posting, to the bottom left you should see an Attachment tab. Click that tab and you'll see attach file button. Click that and select the photo/image you have saved on your phone or computer. That will prompt a loading bar and the the file name when the upload is complete. Make sure you have some comment and then you can preview to check if you photo/image it correct and then click submit.
Kingwood36

:)
Attachments
3437-C22-E-15-A1-428-C-BE10-50-B0944-B1-DFD.jpg
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Coastal trough has been activated as showers along the Middle Texas Coast stream NE. Reports of icy bridges developing across Ft Bend County now. Time to get to where you want to stay put as conditions will do nothing but deteriorate from this point onward.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

First time ever for SE Texas, the National Weather Service has issued a Windchill Warning for all areas.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
unome

it does look beautiful though, animate here: https://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/b ... _drop=show

20210214_190104_sport_goesEast_abi_conus_daySnowFog.jpg
Kingwood36

Shi* is about to get real..I've never experienced anything like this in my 38 years here on earth lol
snowman65

djmike wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:17 pm Sleeting and snow flurries in beaumont right now from this passing moisture. Precursor!!
Already seeing flurries? wow
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flurries reported in Jersey Village

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information