January 2021

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

What could possibly be in store for this year and month?
tropiKal

True La Nina kicks in, and puts an end to winter as we know it.
MontgomeryCoWx

tropiKal wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:59 pm True La Nina kicks in, and puts an end to winter as we know it.
‘A true La Niña’ comes in many shapes and sizes. A number of factors determine the type of Nina we have, like the PDO, northern Rockie snow pack (Niña is good for them) and source region.... not to mention the GOA.

A true La Niña typically means one thing regarding temperatures... they are very erratic. From very cold to very warm in a matter of a week or two and back again.

Our coldest records are often seen in La Niña Winters or Cool-neutral winters.

I see nothing in the long range to suggest a typical Niña and neither does some of the better long range forecasters. We have consistent precip chances in the mid to long range and frequent cool downs and back to normal.

Cosgrove mentioned last week he sees January as an interesting one for Winter weather in Texas.

Also, Waters are looking to be warming and we should be back to ENSO neutral pretty quickly. If a Niña background State takes hold, it won’t be until Spring/Summer.... which would be horrible, but I doubt it lasts long. However, I don’t really see that happening.

My 2 cents
Team #NeverSummer
tropiKal

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:00 pmAlso, Waters are looking to be warming and we should be back to ENSO neutral pretty quickly. If a Niña background State takes hold, it won’t be until Spring/Summer.... which would be horrible, but I doubt it lasts long. However, I don’t really see that happening.
Ninas are good for summer here, since the ridge is farther north, allowing rain from the underside. 2008, 2012, 2017, etc.
DoctorMu

tropiKal wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:29 pm
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:00 pmAlso, Waters are looking to be warming and we should be back to ENSO neutral pretty quickly. If a Niña background State takes hold, it won’t be until Spring/Summer.... which would be horrible, but I doubt it lasts long. However, I don’t really see that happening.
Ninas are good for summer here, since the ridge is farther north, allowing rain from the underside. 2008, 2012, 2017, etc.
I thought the death ridge didn't exist at all? Your trolling is so weak. :lol:
tropiKal

DoctorMu wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:42 amI thought the death ridge didn't exist at all?
It doesn't when you're underside, then it becomes a Life Ridge 8-)
Your trolling is so weak.
no u. :lol:
Cpv17

Starting to see some signs on the models of some significant cold that could be headed south in a few weeks. We’ll see.
MontgomeryCoWx

Cpv17 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:52 pm Starting to see some signs on the models of some significant cold that could be headed south in a few weeks. We’ll see.
It was a matter of time given the strength of the HP cells in Siberia and the migration over to our side of the globe with the NP and AO/NAO cooperating in week 1/2 of January.

Gonna be a fun last half of January for me. Headed to Montana for some below zero weather!
Team #NeverSummer
Cpv17

I’m already looking for the next system. Looks like maybe Wednesday.
snowman65

Question...my daughter will be going to Colorado Springs from Jan 10-15. Can anyone look into their crystal ball and see what she may expect there..snow chances....etc....i know its still a ways off though...thanks!
  • Information