January 2021

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Stormlover2020

Rgem mesoscale shifted south also
Rip76

I’ve been on this board for a very long time.
Every time this has happened it has been, “it will probably not make it south of I-10.”

So we just wait.
snowman65

What about golden triangle? Are we out?
Kingwood36

Rip76 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:46 pm I’ve been on this board for a very long time.
Every time this has happened it has been, “it will probably not make it south of I-10.”

So we just wait.
Its going to do what it wants..regardless of what a computer is telling it to do 😂
Cpv17

snowman65 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:49 pm What about golden triangle? Are we out?
No
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rip76 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:46 pm I’ve been on this board for a very long time.

So we just wait.
It probably will not make it south of I10..There ...LOL
redneckweather

Looks like a road trip for me tomorrow...hit Texas Burger in Madisonville around lunch and hang out for a bit then head to my uncles place in Bedias. Probably stay in the area till late evening, hopefully get into some heavy snow. Then head back home to Lake Conroe and maybe see some good snow flurries at the house after dark.
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

00z GFS is intriguing. If it were to verify, Houston could briefly see some heavy wet snow between 6-9pm before we start drying out.

I've also been following the ULL since it moved onto the west coast and going back and comparing to the model suites. It seems to continue digging a bit further south than what models keep showing and they are playing catch up. NAM/GFS and now HRRR continue to correct itself with higher totals expanding southward and now showing minor accumulation from Columbus to Tomball, Spring and Kingwood.

Models have served its purpose well this week tracking the set up, but now it's 'nowcasting' time for the most part. If you're up in College Station to Madisonville up towards Lufkin, if it works out just right, you all could see 4-6+ inches.

00z (6pm Sunday)
00Z/6pm
00Z/6pm

03Z (9pm Sunday)
03z/9pm
03z/9pm

ULL
Attachments
ULL
ULL
Blake
Boomer Sooner
DoctorMu

snowman65 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:49 pm What about golden triangle? Are we out?

Been down to Austin, Natural Bridge and San Antonio all day...but lurking and scanning models...
Last edited by DoctorMu on Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MontgomeryCoWx

Belmer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:16 pm 00z GFS is intriguing. If it were to verify, Houston could briefly see some heavy wet snow between 6-9pm before we start drying out.

I've also been following the ULL since it moved onto the west coast and going back and comparing to the model suites. It seems to continue digging a bit further south than what models keep showing and they are playing catch up. NAM/GFS and now HRRR continue to correct itself with higher totals expanding southward and now showing minor accumulation from Columbus to Tomball, Spring and Kingwood.

Models have served its purpose well this week tracking the set up, but now it's 'nowcasting' time for the most part. If you're up in College Station to Madisonville up towards Lufkin, if it works out just right, you all could see 4-6+ inches.

00z (6pm Sunday)
00z.PNG

03Z (9pm Sunday)
03z.PNG

ULL

And there ya go
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:25 pm
Belmer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:16 pm 00z GFS is intriguing. If it were to verify, Houston could briefly see some heavy wet snow between 6-9pm before we start drying out.

00z (6pm Sunday)
00z.PNG

03Z (9pm Sunday)
03z.PNG

ULL

And there ya go

Stratus clouds arrive early in San Antonio this afternoon. She's wound up and ready to dig deep.
Kingwood36

Dallas peeps on 2k are going crazy thinking they just got screwed again 😆 lol
Rip76

DoctorMu wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:27 pm
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:25 pm

00z (6pm Sunday)
00z.PNG

03Z (9pm Sunday)
03z.PNG

ULL

And there ya go

Stratus clouds arrive early in San Antonio this afternoon. She's wound up and ready to dig deep.
Agreed.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

With dynamics like we have, not only could we see thunder snow tomorrow but snow ratios may be 12:1 or 13:1. If latest models are right, this will be historic. It's important not to let our imaginations run wild. Rarely will the model be correct. I've always been taught to always take the 'under' on snowfall totals than the over.
txsnowmaker

KHOU BLake wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:45 pm With dynamics like we have, not only could we see thunder snow tomorrow but snow ratios may be 12:1 or 13:1. If latest models are right, this will be historic. It's important not to let our imaginations run wild. Rarely will the model be correct. I've always been taught to always take the 'under' on snowfall totals than the over.
Blake I’m right up the street from KHOU. Are you suggesting thunder snow is possible in our neck of the woods?
vci_guy2003

Kingwood36 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:32 pm Dallas peeps on 2k are going crazy thinking they just got screwed again 😆 lol
What are they complaining about they’ve have plenty of winter storms. SMH.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

txsnowmaker wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:49 pm
KHOU BLake wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:45 pm With dynamics like we have, not only could we see thunder snow tomorrow but snow ratios may be 12:1 or 13:1. If latest models are right, this will be historic. It's important not to let our imaginations run wild. Rarely will the model be correct. I've always been taught to always take the 'under' on snowfall totals than the over.
Blake I’m right up the street from KHOU. Are you suggesting thunder snow is possible in our neck of the woods?
The snow will be in the northwest counties. I'm not totally ruling out snow in Harris County but accumulations looks minimal if any. Of course these systems always have surprises. I've lived here too long and seen too many surprises for it not to be true this time.
TXWeatherMan

vci_guy2003 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:51 pm
Kingwood36 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:32 pm Dallas peeps on 2k are going crazy thinking they just got screwed again 😆 lol
What are they complaining about they’ve have plenty of winter storms. SMH.
I stopped going on there a few days back. Every post was them wish casting the storm to come their way.
txsnowmaker

00z (6pm Sunday)
00z.PNG

03Z (9pm Sunday)
03z.PNG

ULL
When you mention the possibility of heavy wet snow for “Houston,” are you referring to the city itself or other areas outside city limits like Cypress, Tomball, etc?
Stormlover2020

Cmc has shifted south!!
  • Information