December 2020

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
tropiKal

redneckweather wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:22 amSerious wide spread heavy rain with the possibility of wintry precip on the backside with good cold air settling in. How does it feel to be wrong all the time?
Meh. Most of the heavy rain will be to the north, while the snow chances are much farther northwest in Texas.

So, it's all going according to my statement - winter lovers better cherish this December, because the lucky breaks will end going through January. Nothing real noteworthy shows up in models after this front.
txbear

tropiKal wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:26 pm
davidiowx wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:36 pmLoL.. give it a break already.
It's holiday season, I'm already on break. 8-)
Go troll somewhere else please.
no u
You mean you’re always on break in your mom’s basement. Seriously my dude, it’s pretty weak.
TexasBreeze

The New Year's Eve fireworks fun and shows sure do look chilly around here! Hopefully dries out in time too.
Last edited by TexasBreeze on Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately, for New Year's Eve, the trough models were indicating would pass through the region later this week looks to become more of a split flow with an upper-level low attached. Even with an upper-level low passing directly overhead with some decent wrap-around moisture, most of the colder air will remain well north of here. I think those over Central and Northern Texas will see some wintry mix but for us down here it will just be rainy and chilly.

Also, let's chill with the bickering that has been going on. I for one look forward to enjoying the rain and colder temperatures again. Current models indicate the rain should clear before the "festivities" later in the evening. A win-win for everyone.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
jasons2k

Just got back from spending a couple of days at The Galvez and the weather on the island was just perfect - amazing for December. I could not have prescribed better weather than what we had. It was the most pleasant Festival of Lights stroll we’ve ever had because it wasn’t frigid & blustery like it usually is - plus, there was hardly anyone there.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mike Adcock
@MikeAdcockWx
· 24m
UPDATED: 0000 UTC observations are in from Mongolia. Tsetsen Uul is reporting 1094.3 hPa (32.31") with five other locations reporting pressures higher than the record 1084.8 hPa from 2001.
Attachments
EqXwtGmW8AAHkO_.jpeg
EqXwsY2W4AANWkA.jpeg
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
TexasBreeze

Then you look at gfs long range and see the coldest air of the planet around that extremely strong high just sits there and doesn't go anywhere. The air in northern Canada sits there too. The pattern is way too progressive around the Pacific into the US.
Cpv17

TexasBreeze wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:17 pm Then you look at gfs long range and see the coldest air of the planet around that extremely strong high just sits there and doesn't go anywhere. The air in northern Canada sits there too. The pattern is way too progressive around the Pacific into the US.
Yeah we need the epo to work in our favor.
DoctorMu

srainhoutx wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:05 pm Mike Adcock
@MikeAdcockWx
· 24m
UPDATED: 0000 UTC observations are in from Mongolia. Tsetsen Uul is reporting 1094.3 hPa (32.31") with five other locations reporting pressures higher than the record 1084.8 hPa from 2001.

Bring it. We're due for a breakthrough, not unusual in some La Nina years in Texas.

We've really had a pretty good late Fall, early Winter, though. Lots of sunny days and seasonable temps. Reasonable dew points on most days. No complaints.

I wouldn't mind seeing wintry mischief and/or a few more fronts, lows with precip. The Wed/Thursday system appears per the models today to be tracking more north and west vs. yesterday. Could be more of a San Angelo to Ft. Worth wintry event. We'll see.
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:19 pm
TexasBreeze wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:17 pm Then you look at gfs long range and see the coldest air of the planet around that extremely strong high just sits there and doesn't go anywhere. The air in northern Canada sits there too. The pattern is way too progressive around the Pacific into the US.
Yeah we need the epo to work in our favor.
A couple of winters ago - more El Nino... there was bottled up Siberian/Arctic air that was supposed to jailbreak, but it never did. We're due for a fluke in our direction.
TexasBreeze

Winter just started a week ago so there is still plenty of time to see a big shift happen. La Nina can offer surprises just have to see some improved blocking to slow things down. The precip events lately have made things soggy around my area and that is a surprise.
unome

a little soggy here as well, but better that than the drought - west TX & NM in dire strights already :(

https://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSe ... d97e7ae35b

https://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webap ... d980555528

wishing a safe New Year to all y'all
jasons2k

TexasBreeze wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:32 pm Winter just started a week ago so there is still plenty of time to see a big shift happen. La Nina can offer surprises just have to see some improved blocking to slow things down. The precip events lately have made things soggy around my area and that is a surprise.
The meteorological winter is Dec/Jan/Feb. We are about 1/3 way through it. Although not impossible, winter events after March 1 become extremely hard to come by....we have about 8 weeks left, realistically...and that will fly by quickly.
snowman65

For everyone looking for winter miracles this year, its just not going to happen. Youll have to come to terms sooner or later. I want it just as much as the next winter lover but you gotta stay grounded in reality.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201229-102401_The Weather Channel~2.jpg
Screenshot_20201229-102401_The Weather Channel~2.jpg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 2877 times
DoctorMu

snowman65 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:42 am For everyone looking for winter miracles this year, its just not going to happen. Youll have to come to terms sooner or later. I want it just as much as the next winter lover but you gotta stay grounded in reality.
The crystal ball map on TWC has been showing that every month since September. :lol:

Besides, warmer than average does not mean a 2-3 cold shot isn't possible during the course of a month. It was 75°F two days before the December 2017 5 inch snowfall in BCS.
Cpv17

snowman65 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:42 am For everyone looking for winter miracles this year, its just not going to happen. Youll have to come to terms sooner or later. I want it just as much as the next winter lover but you gotta stay grounded in reality.
That map has already been proven wrong. Also last year we were supposed to have a cold winter and it turned out warm.
Cromagnum

Quite windy today.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cromagnum wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:59 pm Quite windy today.
Big Southern California storm coming...almost El Nino like... ;)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
tropiKal

Exactly what I've been saying.
tropiKal

DoctorMu wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:46 pmThe crystal ball map on TWC has been showing that every month since September. :lol:

Besides, warmer than average does not mean a 2-3 cold shot isn't possible during the course of a month. It was 75°F two days before the December 2017 5 inch snowfall in BCS.
Cpv17 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:03 pmThat map has already been proven wrong. Also last year we were supposed to have a cold winter and it turned out warm.
Eh, the La Nina will kick in this January or so. Easterly trades will start moving north, so will the Pacific Jet. Gonna be dry and toasty for the rest of winter and spring after that 8-)
  • Information