December 1989 Freeze

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
User avatar
Ptarmigan
Statistical Specialist
Statistical Specialist
Posts: 3466
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:20 pm
Contact:

December 1989 Freeze

Post by Ptarmigan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 pm

Here is an interesting article about the December 1989 freeze.

December 1989’s Epic Cold
https://www.ryanhanrahan.com/2012/11/18 ... epic-cold/

The setup is complicated. Looks like December 1989 had weak positive North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), Arctic Oscillation (AO), negative East Pacific Oscillation (EPO), and positive Pacific/North American (PNA).

It started with negative NAO and AO. Then it flipped into positive NAO and AO. Then strong negative EPO and positive PNA comes to play. The Strong EPO and PNA kept east of the Rocky Mountains cold as they brought cold air down south.

tropiKal
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:46 pm
Contact:

Re: December 1989 Freeze

Post by tropiKal » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:25 pm

Thank heavens such freezes are a thing of the past. Probably will never happen again.

Cpv17
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: El Campo/Wharton
Contact:

Re: December 1989 Freeze

Post by Cpv17 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:36 pm

tropiKal wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:25 pm
Thank heavens such freezes are a thing of the past. Probably will never happen again.
I would love for that to happen again along with about two feet of snow. I’d be beyond excited but as I said before I love extreme events like that as long as there’s no deaths.

User avatar
MontgomeryCoWx
Posts: 1319
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Magnolia, TX
Contact:

Re: December 1989 Freeze

Post by MontgomeryCoWx » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:45 am

tropiKal wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:25 pm
Thank heavens such freezes are a thing of the past. Probably will never happen again.
You don’t understand averages versus anomalous events.

That was a 1 in 50 year type freeze. Not only will it happen again (probably in my life), taking the setup and strength of the cells, it’s not even a statistical anomaly for a setup like that.

This country shattered October records very far south a couple weeks ago.
Team #NeverSummer

User avatar
DoctorMu
Posts: 2416
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:58 am
Location: College Station
Contact:

Re: December 1989 Freeze

Post by DoctorMu » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:37 pm

We're more susceptible to *occasional* polar vortex events in the future as reduced polar ice diverts the really cold stuff.

We were in Florida at the time. It snowed in Jacksonville and Gainesville.

User avatar
jasons2k
Posts: 3189
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 pm
Location: Imperial Oaks
Contact:

Re: December 1989 Freeze

Post by jasons2k » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:14 pm

It would kill a lot of palms - even the Mexican fan palms - don’t want to see it.

We lived in Plano at the time and for me it was exciting. My grandparents lived in Spring, had come up to visit over the holidays, and when they got home, came home to a flooded house with busted pipes.

I was in Tampa for the ‘83 freeze. Man that one sucked. Killed so many citrus trees and palms all over Central Florida. It was horrible.

TXWeatherMan
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:21 am
Location: Montgomery TX
Contact:

Re: December 1989 Freeze

Post by TXWeatherMan » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:32 pm

tropiKal wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:25 pm
Thank heavens such freezes are a thing of the past. Probably will never happen again.
Literally all of your posts are the same, what’s the point?

User avatar
MontgomeryCoWx
Posts: 1319
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Magnolia, TX
Contact:

Re: December 1989 Freeze

Post by MontgomeryCoWx » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:09 am

TXWeatherMan wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:32 pm
tropiKal wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:25 pm
Thank heavens such freezes are a thing of the past. Probably will never happen again.
Literally all of your posts are the same, what’s the point?
Same troll that’s been around a while
Team #NeverSummer

User avatar
Ptarmigan
Statistical Specialist
Statistical Specialist
Posts: 3466
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:20 pm
Contact:

Re: December 1989 Freeze

Post by Ptarmigan » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:11 pm

MontgomeryCoWx wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:45 am
tropiKal wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:25 pm
Thank heavens such freezes are a thing of the past. Probably will never happen again.
You don’t understand averages versus anomalous events.

That was a 1 in 50 year type freeze. Not only will it happen again (probably in my life), taking the setup and strength of the cells, it’s not even a statistical anomaly for a setup like that.

This country shattered October records very far south a couple weeks ago.
The December 1989 freeze was on par with December 1983.

The closest would January 1886, February 1895, and February 1899.

I would not be surprised if we freezes like this in the future.

tropiKal
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:46 pm
Contact:

Re: December 1989 Freeze

Post by tropiKal » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:50 pm

DoctorMu wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:37 pm
We're more susceptible to *occasional* polar vortex events in the future as reduced polar ice diverts the really cold stuff.
A temporary flux from the Arctic's last dying breath. After that, the hot house begins :twisted:

Post Reply