MAY 2020

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

They just lowered my rain chances for tomorrow from 70% down to 50%.
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:13 pm They just lowered my rain chances for tomorrow from 70% down to 50%.
Yeah it looks like most of the rain will be east of us into Louisiana. Better rain chances for us in about a week or so from now.
DoctorMu

The Ensemble looks better than GFS and Canadian, but looking more dry than I'd like for the next 2 weeks. This is the 40 day window to load up before the spigot turns off here in the Brazos Valley.
CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:26 pm Hopefully, the weather cooperates tomorrow, as the Lone Star Flight Museum is planning a fly-over over the greater Houston area. They're trying to get ~20 vintage aircraft in the flight, depending on availability and clearance from the operators:

https://www.lonestarflight.org/public/F ... L-May8.pdf
Looks like the threat of Friday weather has caused a rescheduling of this event. They will now be flying on Sunday, May 10. Take-off time is also rescheduled to be around 1400 CDT US:

https://www.lonestarflight.org/public/F ... EV_SUN.pdf
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
jasons2k

Rain chances lowered to 40%.

Will probably have to resort to sprinklers.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Showers and a few thunderstorms will develop ahead of a cold front later this afternoon mainly from I-10 down to the coastal areas. The Houston-Galveston areas are on the edge of a marginal risk area thus a few thunderstorms could approach severe limits. Hoping we get at least some well needed rainfall in NW Galveston County. I will gladly take .25" - .50" over a trace or 0.00" :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 9.31.50 AM.png
DoctorMu

Prediction: Bust in College Station

Light to moderate rain in Houston.

Current NOAA forecast has high and dry for a week after that.

Sprinklers on stun.
Cpv17

DoctorMu wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:16 am Prediction: Bust in College Station

Sprinklers on stun.
We’ll get some better rain chances in here in the 6-10 day period. Looking like some pretty decent rains and a good bout of severe weather headed our way during that period. The ridging in the west is about to transition to a trough in a few days and the big trough in the east is about to giveaway to a ridge. The Euro has a system digging all the way down into the central/southern part of the Baja Peninsula and it just sits there for a few days and then it looks to be replaced possibly by an even bigger system after that but I have low confidence because that’s too far out. The Euro and GFS along with the CPC forecast look pretty good for us.
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:01 pm
DoctorMu wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:16 am Prediction: Bust in College Station

Sprinklers on stun.
We’ll get some better rain chances in here in the 6-10 day period. Looking like some pretty decent rains and a good bout of severe weather headed our way during that period. The ridging in the west is about to transition to a trough in a few days and the big trough in the east is about to giveaway to a ridge. The Euro has a system digging all the way down into the central/southern part of the Baja Peninsula and it just sits there for a few days and then it looks to be replaced possibly by an even bigger system after that but I have low confidence because that’s too far out. The Euro and GFS along with the CPC forecast look pretty good for us.
I hope so re: precip.

Huge windshift to the NNE as I type. Maybe a couple of drops headed our way as small cells are just NW of Bryan. It looks iffy.
Cromagnum

Doesn't look too promising for today at the moment
DoctorMu

It's official: Bust up here.
jasons2k

Yeah, I had a couple of drops and that's it. Seems like every year we get a drought in the springtime. I don't get it.
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:04 pm Yeah, I had a couple of drops and that's it. Seems like every year we get a drought in the springtime. I don't get it.
We’ve had a couple big flooding events the past few years in the month of May including one at my job last year in Rosenberg where we got a foot of rain in just a few hours.
Cpv17

DoctorMu wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:42 pm It's official: Bust up here.
I wouldn’t really call it a bust because chances were never really that good to begin with. I told everyone at my job and a bunch of my family that it’s probably not going to rain today.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

See scattered showers develop across SE Harris County, extreme NW Brazoria, and Ft Bend Counties. Seeing some towering cumulus here in W League City off to the NW. Hoping for at least one good shower but we shall see. Regardless of any precipitation, that 10-15F drop will feel awesome with gusty N winds.
Cromagnum

Yep. Broken line of weak garbage blew through without a drop.
jasons2k

You can see, down in the RGV, they had a solid line. Totally skipped over us! How the heck did they have major storms to the east in LA, and to our SW down in the RGV, but nothing here ?!?!?!
Cpv17

This is looking good!

don

Yep models are showing a classic cut off low setup,looks like we could get some much needed rain next week. Of course with these setups the potential for flooding and severe weather will have to be watched also.
Cpv17

don wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:35 pm Yep models are showing a classic cut off low setup,looks like we could get some much needed rain next week. Of course with these setups the potential for flooding and severe weather will have to be watched also.
I’m not completely sold on it yet. Been burned too many times especially this far out.
  • Information