MAY 2020

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
unome

a few showers popped up north of the Woodlands

https://mrms.nssl.noaa.gov/qvs/product_viewer/
DoctorMu

A very brief shower in the Brazos Valley this evening. Largely a bust. Glad to see rain where there has been more drought-like conditions in early spring.

We have a couple of nice, dry spring days ahead. Enjoy it while it lasts. Most of the really cool air is sliding east.
CrashTestDummy

Looks like we got about a 1/2" between last night and this morning's showers. That's a good thing, since stuff was starting to get dry.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
Cromagnum

Managed about a half inch as well in Rosharon. If we can reliably get that much once a week I would be a happy camper.
Cpv17

Cromagnum wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:28 pm Managed about a half inch as well in Rosharon. If we can reliably get that much once a week I would be a happy camper.
A few miles away from you they got 3-4” yesterday.
Cromagnum

Cpv17 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:52 pm
Cromagnum wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:28 pm Managed about a half inch as well in Rosharon. If we can reliably get that much once a week I would be a happy camper.
A few miles away from you they got 3-4” yesterday.
Yeah I know. The storm literally split in half as it reached my house and the heavier half went west.
DoctorMu

Chamber of Commerce Day in CLL. Not too many more left until October.
CrashTestDummy

Hopefully, the weather cooperates tomorrow, as the Lone Star Flight Museum is planning a fly-over over the greater Houston area. They're trying to get ~20 vintage aircraft in the flight, depending on availability and clearance from the operators:

https://www.lonestarflight.org/public/F ... L-May8.pdf
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

CrashTestDummy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:26 pm Hopefully, the weather cooperates tomorrow, as the Lone Star Flight Museum is planning a fly-over over the greater Houston area. They're trying to get ~20 vintage aircraft in the flight, depending on availability and clearance from the operators:

Hoping the weather holds out as well for the Fly Over tomorrow. Looking forward to it and missed the Blue Angels yesterday. I should have watched on the trail along Mag Creek instead of the drive way. They were to the N of my location in W League City.
CrashTestDummy

I was going to go out and at least have a look. Didn't hear anything, and was quietly working away when I heard on my radio stream that the fly over was done. :-(
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

jasons2k

They just lowered my rain chances for tomorrow from 70% down to 50%.
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:13 pm They just lowered my rain chances for tomorrow from 70% down to 50%.
Yeah it looks like most of the rain will be east of us into Louisiana. Better rain chances for us in about a week or so from now.
DoctorMu

The Ensemble looks better than GFS and Canadian, but looking more dry than I'd like for the next 2 weeks. This is the 40 day window to load up before the spigot turns off here in the Brazos Valley.
CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:26 pm Hopefully, the weather cooperates tomorrow, as the Lone Star Flight Museum is planning a fly-over over the greater Houston area. They're trying to get ~20 vintage aircraft in the flight, depending on availability and clearance from the operators:

Looks like the threat of Friday weather has caused a rescheduling of this event. They will now be flying on Sunday, May 10. Take-off time is also rescheduled to be around 1400 CDT US:

https://www.lonestarflight.org/public/F ... EV_SUN.pdf
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

jasons2k

Rain chances lowered to 40%.

Will probably have to resort to sprinklers.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Showers and a few thunderstorms will develop ahead of a cold front later this afternoon mainly from I-10 down to the coastal areas. The Houston-Galveston areas are on the edge of a marginal risk area thus a few thunderstorms could approach severe limits. Hoping we get at least some well needed rainfall in NW Galveston County. I will gladly take .25" - .50" over a trace or 0.00" :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 9.31.50 AM.png
DoctorMu

Prediction: Bust in College Station

Light to moderate rain in Houston.

Current NOAA forecast has high and dry for a week after that.

Sprinklers on stun.
Cpv17

DoctorMu wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:16 am Prediction: Bust in College Station

Sprinklers on stun.
We’ll get some better rain chances in here in the 6-10 day period. Looking like some pretty decent rains and a good bout of severe weather headed our way during that period. The ridging in the west is about to transition to a trough in a few days and the big trough in the east is about to giveaway to a ridge. The Euro has a system digging all the way down into the central/southern part of the Baja Peninsula and it just sits there for a few days and then it looks to be replaced possibly by an even bigger system after that but I have low confidence because that’s too far out. The Euro and GFS along with the CPC forecast look pretty good for us.
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:01 pm
DoctorMu wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:16 am Prediction: Bust in College Station

Sprinklers on stun.
We’ll get some better rain chances in here in the 6-10 day period. Looking like some pretty decent rains and a good bout of severe weather headed our way during that period. The ridging in the west is about to transition to a trough in a few days and the big trough in the east is about to giveaway to a ridge. The Euro has a system digging all the way down into the central/southern part of the Baja Peninsula and it just sits there for a few days and then it looks to be replaced possibly by an even bigger system after that but I have low confidence because that’s too far out. The Euro and GFS along with the CPC forecast look pretty good for us.
I hope so re: precip.

Huge windshift to the NNE as I type. Maybe a couple of drops headed our way as small cells are just NW of Bryan. It looks iffy.
Cromagnum

Doesn't look too promising for today at the moment
  • Information