February 2020

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cpv17

Man, that is a lot of rain on the GFS.
Cromagnum

Dont need anymore rain. Need zero in February at my place.
don

Cpv17 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:25 pm Man, that is a lot of rain on the GFS.
Yes,next week looks really nice for some much needed rain across the state.
jasons2k

Looks like most of us do need some rain:

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentM ... or.aspx?TX
Cpv17

Cromagnum wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:06 pm Dont need anymore rain. Need zero in February at my place.
You could go 2 months at your place with no rain and the grounds would still be saturated there lol
jasons2k

Got down to 32.7. No freeze but lots of frost, so good thing I covered everything. Looking forward to an extended period of warmer weather.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Friday morning weather briefing from Jeff:

Extended period of wet weather increasingly likely for next week.

Enjoy the sun and decent temperatures today and Saturday as an extended period of wet weather looks to commence late Sunday through next Wednesday.

A return of SE winds and moisture will begin late Saturday and continue into Sunday as a slow moving upper level trough digs into the SW US. The position of this trough will favor a SW flow aloft over much of TX with moisture streaming NE from the Pacific and also moving inland from the Gulf of Mexico. A frontal boundary will drop southward and slow over SE TX early next week and along with disturbances aloft provide a good focus for the development of showers and thunderstorms over the region. It appears the boundary may stall near the coast Monday into Tuesday with showers and thunderstorms continuing. Depending on where the front stalls will have a fairly big impact on temperatures as locations north of the boundary will likely remain in the 50’s while south of the front will be in the 70’s.

A fairly strong trough rotates through the area around next Wednesday and this looks to result in the development of a coastal low that moves into or across the area during this period. Several global models bring this feature inland along with a band of heavy rainfall while the GFS keeps it near the coast or offshore and the worst of the weather in that area. This is pretty far out for much certainty of the track of such a feature, but the point to be made is that a fairly wet period is looking likely.

Widespread rainfall amounts Sun-Wednesday night look to average 1-2 inches across much of the area with totals of 3-4 inches along and east of I-45. Could possibly see some higher totals especially if a surface low track over the area next Wednesday. While the drought monitor shows drought over much of the area, soils especially east of I-45 and along the coast are fairly wet and the expected widespread nature of the rainfall next week will likely result in rises on area watersheds and rivers.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Cpv17

Rain chances for next week have gone down a bit on the last 2 runs of the GFS. Meanwhile, the Euro is now the wetter model with about 1-2” along the coast and 2-6” everywhere else.
jasons2k

I hit 73 today. Quite a bit warmer than expected.
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:55 pm I hit 73 today. Quite a bit warmer than expected.
That dry air heats up real fast. No moisture content to hold it back.
  • Information