December 2019: Warming Trend/Weekend Rain/Christmas Outlook

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
snowman65

Cpv17 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:42 pm This weather is so boring. Winter might start becoming the most boring season for me. At least during the summer I can track tropical systems.
I know what you mean. Even when another place gets hit with a hurricane I will watch a lot on tv to keep up.....but I don't watch when other places get snow....lol
snowman65

Well the Dec-Mar temperature outlook just came out.....let's just put it this way.....let's just move on to next winter.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

FXUS64 KHGX 121147
AFDHGX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
547 AM CST Thu Dec 12 2019

.AVIATION...
Some 3500-4000 foot ceilings continue to decrease in coverage early
this morning, and a majority of locations should be VFR for most of
the day with winds between east and south and staying below 10 knots.
Might see increasing clouds again tonight through tomorrow morning
with possible MVFR ceiling development around 2500-3000 feet. 42
&&

.PREV DISCUSSION... /ISSUED 336 AM CST Thu Dec 12 2019/

DISCUSSION...

A weekend of mostly quiet weather remains ahead - we`ll begin with
temperatures a little below normal, with gradual warming through
Sunday despite a very weak cold front on Saturday. A stronger cold
front is expected on Monday, which will bring our next chance for
showers and storms, along with colder conditions next week.

SHORT TERM [Through Friday]...

Quiet weather can be expected through Friday. Clouds are
increasing from south to north across the area early this
morning, and expect this trend to continue throughout the
day. After a cold start to the morning, look for temperatures
to warm up into to 60s for much of the area. Tonight and
tomorrow look similar to today with slightly warmer
temperatures (both lows and highs).

LONG TERM [Friday Night Through Thursday]...

Friday night will feature a very weak cold front moving through as
a new surface high settles over Southeast Texas on Saturday. How
will you know the front passed? Well, you probably won`t. Rain
chances are virtually nil, and temperatures Saturday are expected
to be near or even a teensy bit warmer than Friday. About the only
indicator will be the shift of winds from southwesterly on Friday
to northwesterly by Saturday morning, becoming southeasterly by
Saturday night as the high drifts east of us.

As onshore flow returns, we`ll begin to start the process of
moisture return ahead of the next front. After a pause in the
warmup on Saturday, temperatures should be decidedly (10 or more
degrees) above normal on Sunday.

The upper trough supporting the next front will be dropping off
the Rockies Sunday night. Beyond the consistency in the broad
scale pattern though, there is an enormous spread of the low
pressure feature at lower levels and the surface. The Euro speeds
troughing from 700 mb down way out to around St. Louis, forming up
the surface low far to our east, and giving us a glancing blow as
the front rolls through. The GFS is much slower, forming up a
surface low over North Texas. And...while it doesn`t really
strengthen much until it`s past us, gives us a bit more of a
traditional frontal passage.

With such a wide spread in the guidance, it`s probably no surprise
that the forecast largely resembles a blend of the guidance,
tweaked a bit for known weaknesses of this blending around sharp
discontinuities like fronts. This starts the front moving in from
the northwest into spots like B/CS, Madisonville, and Crockett
before dawn on Monday, passing through Houston mid-to-late-
morning, and shoving across the Gulf waters through the afternoon.
This peaks rain chances for most of the area on Monday morning. If
so, while there would surely be potential for thunderstorms, it
would focus any severe threat to our east.

Just...don`t get tied to this timing. With such important details
needed to be ironed out, things can certainly still shift by
several hours. This could have important implications on sensible
weather with the frontal passage. So...we`re very confident in a
front passing early next week, bringing rain and some
thunderstorms. Beyond that...things are still more up in the air.
Odds probably favor a scenario with light to moderate rain
showers and some isolated thunderstorms, but confidence here is
much lower than the general idea.

MARINE...

Seas have remained elevated early this morning, and have gone
ahead and issued a Small Craft Advisory for the offshore waters
and Caution Flags for the nearshore waters. Still anticipating
gradual improvement to begin this morning. Otherwise, a NE/E
flow will persist into early Friday as a trof/surface low moves
to the north then eventually northeast. Winds will gradually
back to more of a westerly direction as this feature makes its
way toward the northeastern Gulf coast. There remains some
uncertainty in regards to wind directions on Saturday, but an
onshore flow should become more prevalent Sunday and Sunday night
ahead of the next stronger cold front on Monday. A Small Craft
Advisory will likely be needed in the wake of that front.

&&

.PRELIMINARY POINT TEMPS/POPS...
College Station (CLL) 61 45 71 43 70 / 0 0 0 0 0
Houston (IAH) 62 48 70 47 70 / 0 0 10 0 0
Galveston (GLS) 62 56 67 55 68 / 0 0 10 0 0

&&

.HGX WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...
TX...NONE.
GM...SMALL CRAFT SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION until 10 AM CST this morning
for the following zones: Coastal waters from Freeport to
Matagorda Ship Channel TX out 20 NM...Coastal waters from
High Island to Freeport TX out 20 NM.

Small Craft Advisory until 10 AM CST this morning for the
following zones: Waters from Freeport to Matagorda Ship
Channel TX from 20 to 60 NM...Waters from High Island to
Freeport TX from 20 to 60 NM.

&&

$$
Cpv17

snowman65 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:14 am Well the Dec-Mar temperature outlook just came out.....let's just put it this way.....let's just move on to next winter.
Lol yep
harp

LOL! I can't believe some of you folks. I put no faith in long term forecasts, whether or not they say what I want them to say. Last year, all signs pointed to a very cold winter. It never happened. So, what makes you so convinced this "warmer" forecast will come to fruition? Think about that....
cperk

harp wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:32 pm LOL! I can't believe some of you folks. I put no faith in long term forecasts, whether or not they say what I want them to say. Last year, all signs pointed to a very cold winter. It never happened. So, what makes you so convinced this "warmer" forecast will come to fruition? Think about that....

Those reports are not etched in stone we have at least 3 more months before we hang the winter closed sign, so harp i totally agree with you.
Cpv17

harp wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:32 pm LOL! I can't believe some of you folks. I put no faith in long term forecasts, whether or not they say what I want them to say. Last year, all signs pointed to a very cold winter. It never happened. So, what makes you so convinced this "warmer" forecast will come to fruition? Think about that....
Honestly I doubt it. We live in the Deep South after all. I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m not an optimist, not a pessimist, I’m just a realist.
MontgomeryCoWx

Cpv17 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:02 pm
Honestly I doubt it. We live in the Deep South after all. I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m not an optimist, not a pessimist, I’m just a realist.
A realist would say, “don’t put stock in long range forecasts because they are wrong 90% of the time...”
Team #NeverSummer
Texaspirate11

The forecast also said it would be a below average to average cane season - oops.
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
Cpv17

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:06 pm
A realist would say, “don’t put stock in long range forecasts because they are wrong 90% of the time...”
Trust me I don’t put stock in them lol they’re trash. Even the Euro isn’t as good as it used to be. I’m just saying that because of where we live. It almost takes a miracle to get snow down here.
MontgomeryCoWx

Cpv17 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Trust me I don’t put stock in them lol they’re trash. Even the Euro isn’t as good as it used to be. I’m just saying that because of where we live. It almost takes a miracle to get snow down here.
When I’m here, I don’t wish for snow because I know better. That’s why we have a place in Montana.

I want it to be sub 60 and the colder the better. I abhor Summer and quite frankly most of Spring and early Fall. If it werent for my wife, I’d never go to a beach. The mountains and all of its beauty are supreme to a hot, humid hell hole with sand.
Team #NeverSummer
cperk

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:19 pm

When I’m here, I don’t wish for snow because I know better. That’s why we have a place in Montana.

I want it to be sub 60 and the colder the better. I abhor Summer and quite frankly most of Spring and early Fall. If it werent for my wife, I’d never go to a beach. The mountains and all of its beauty are supreme to a hot, humid hell hole with sand.
MontgomeryCoWx stop holding back and tell us how you really feel about heat and humidity. :)
cperk

My friend i feel the same.
MontgomeryCoWx

cperk wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:15 pm

MontgomeryCoWx stop holding back and tell us how you really feel about heat and humidity. :)

That was the G rated version. I grew up in Texas and played Football and Baseball in the heat of Summer/early fall. I’ve never stopped hating it from an early age.

The thing is... I can sit in shorts and a polo outside at 45-50 degrees. At 25-30 I’m in jeans and a light jacket. Once it gets below 0, I put on my Sitka hunting gear and I’ll stay toasty.
Team #NeverSummer
jasons2k

I must have thinner blood being from Florida (heard one time that was a myth). The heat and humidity don’t bother me usually until it’s over 100. I could retire in Key West or Sarasota and be in heaven. I love the beach (a real beach, not a Texas beach). It’s heaven for me.

I went to college in Lubbock. It can occasionally get some true bitter cold weather every few years. It didn’t bother me much up there and I loved it when it snowed.

As I have gotten older, both the excessive heat and the cold bother me more. I suppose that’s normal. I really don’t like the heat when it gets up into the upper 90’s+ and when we have lows in the 80’s. That’s a bit much.

I don’t care for the cold either, especially if it’s just gray, rainy, drizzly, blustery type of weather. Crisp, sunny, calm and cold is OK above 32.

Aside from a couple of cold snaps, I have really enjoyed the weather since mid-October. I could have that weather all year and never complain....
MontgomeryCoWx

jasons2k wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:39 pm I must have thinner blood being from Florida (heard one time that was a myth). The heat and humidity don’t bother me usually until it’s over 100. I could retire in Key West or Sarasota and be in heaven. I love the beach (a real beach, not a Texas beach). It’s heaven for me.

I went to college in Lubbock. It can occasionally get some true bitter cold weather every few years. It didn’t bother me much up there and I loved it when it snowed.

As I have gotten older, both the excessive heat and the cold bother me more. I suppose that’s normal. I really don’t like the heat when it gets up into the upper 90’s+ and when we have lows in the 80’s. That’s a bit much.

I don’t care for the cold either, especially if it’s just gray, rainy, drizzly, blustery type of weather. Crisp, sunny, calm and cold is OK above 32.

Aside from a couple of cold snaps, I have really enjoyed the weather since mid-October. I could have that weather all year and never complain....
Yeah, for SE Texas, this has been an enjoyable Fall so far.

I’m also with you on the Heat as I get older. The cold doesn’t bother me yet as I have really nice cold weather gear. I like doing a lot of work outside and enjoy running outside, in the late Fall and Winter. I just can’t do it when it gets over 75-80 and it’s humid.
Team #NeverSummer
Cpv17

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:44 pm

That was the G rated version. I grew up in Texas and played Football and Baseball in the heat of Summer/early fall. I’ve never stopped hating it from an early age.

The thing is... I can sit in shorts and a polo outside at 45-50 degrees. At 25-30 I’m in jeans and a light jacket. Once it gets below 0, I put on my Sitka hunting gear and I’ll stay toasty.
Weird how you’re so much different from everyone else. How are you able to do that? There’s no way in hell I’d do that. You’re cut from a different cloth, for sure.
MontgomeryCoWx

Cpv17 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:57 pm

Weird how you’re so much different from everyone else. How are you able to do that? There’s no way in hell I’d do that. You’re cut from a different cloth, for sure.
I always have. I’m guessing it’s bloodlines back to Eastern Europe.

Funny story about the cold....we were in the TX HS Football playoffs in ‘98 and it was 20 degrees with flurries. Our QB and RBs did not want to be there (we had 4 yards at halftime) so I went to our coach and told him to draw up 4 base plays out of an Run Pass Option shotgun formation. Our line and our defense wasn’t going to lose because it was “cold”.

I had never played QB (I played defense and was 220 lbs which was huge for QB at that time) but I knew I wasn’t going to get stiff so I plowed into the DL over and over and dinked and dunked our way down the field and won 13-7. My mother was horrified when she kept hearing our last name over and over on offense and she realized what had happened.
Team #NeverSummer
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Friday morning weather briefing from Jeff:

Southerly winds have briefly returned ahead of a weak cool front that will cross the area this afternoon. Overall impacts to the weather will be minor with mainly a delay in the warming trend ahead of the next strong cold front expected to arrive on Monday.

With the front crossing the area this afternoon, lows Saturday will fall back into the 40’s, but warm quickly into the low to mid 70’s for highs with sunny skies. Changes begin on Sunday as southerly flow becomes established. Afternoon highs on Sunday will push the upper 70’s to lower 80’s which could be near record highs for mid December. While moisture increase ahead of the Monday frontal passage, the main dynamics of this system look to pass off to our north and east. Best rain chances on Monday will be along the front and likely occur along and NE of a line from Huntsville to Katy to Galveston. This is been the recent pattern this fall of storm systems barely able to produce much rainfall west of I-45 and drought conditions have slowly returned to these areas. Strong cold air advection behind the front will result in falling temperatures from near record highs on Sunday to the 40’s and 50’s by Monday afternoon and evening. Cold air mass will remain in place through the middle of next week before another storm system approaches the area toward next Thursday and Friday.

Drought conditions have expanded in the last month with a general lack of rainfall especially across central and southwest Texas. Extended range outlooks suggest below normal rainfall over the next 3 months over southern Texas which will likely worsen ongoing drought conditions.
Attachments
12132019 Jeff Image 1 current_tx_trd.png
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Cpv17

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:32 am
Cpv17 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:57 pm

I always have. I’m guessing it’s bloodlines back to Eastern Europe.

Funny story about the cold....we were in the TX HS Football playoffs in ‘98 and it was 20 degrees with flurries. Our QB and RBs did not want to be there (we had 4 yards at halftime) so I went to our coach and told him to draw up 4 base plays out of an Run Pass Option shotgun formation. Our line and our defense wasn’t going to lose because it was “cold”.

I had never played QB (I played defense and was 220 lbs which was huge for QB at that time) but I knew I wasn’t going to get stiff so I plowed into the DL over and over and dinked and dunked our way down the field and won 13-7. My mother was horrified when she kept hearing our last name over and over on offense and she realized what had happened.
Where was that game played at? Somewhere up in NTX I bet.
  • Information