October: Chilly Halloween Outlook

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
JDsGN

Has the southerly flow kicked in early? I just ran to the store and expected it to be a bit more refreshing but my temp gauge showed 77 and it’s pretty humid. Weather ap shows 70 but I’m not buying it.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rollercoaster weather pattern ahead for the next 7 days. Onshore flow has returned and temperatures will be on the rise once again. A powerful winter like storm is organizing across the Northern Rockies and a strong surface low will wrap up tonight into tomorrow across the Northern Plains where some locations could see over a foot of snow in portions of the Dakotas and MN. Snow showers may extend as far S as Kansas and that refrigerated air mass will rush across Texas Thursday night into Friday bringing much chillier air in its wake. We may see a 30 to 35 degree temperature drop with the arrival of that strong Canadian front, so be prepared Friday. Saturday will feel like Fall has really arrived, but that will be short lived. Onshore flow resumes Sunday night and a surge of deep tropical moisture pushes in off the Gulf next Monday and continues into mid next week. Some of the models are indicating that tropical moisture from the Eastern Pacific and a sheared out storm system near Baja could bring additional moisture across Texas. Not sure I totally buy that solution just yet. A lot of folks need rain and there is just too much uncertainty at this range to feel confident in any measureable rain chances.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
CrashTestDummy

JDsGN wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:06 pm Has the southerly flow kicked in early? I just ran to the store and expected it to be a bit more refreshing but my temp gauge showed 77 and it’s pretty humid. Weather ap shows 70 but I’m not buying it.
It's felt a LOT more humid than the gauges are indicating, in my opinion. Not sure what it is, but while it was cool, it really felt damp. We even have some fog this morning in N. Brazoria county.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
Texaspirate11

What a beautiful morning - 67 degrees and I can just feel the Fall....
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
Cpv17

CrashTestDummy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:20 am
JDsGN wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:06 pm Has the southerly flow kicked in early? I just ran to the store and expected it to be a bit more refreshing but my temp gauge showed 77 and it’s pretty humid. Weather ap shows 70 but I’m not buying it.
It's felt a LOT more humid than the gauges are indicating, in my opinion. Not sure what it is, but while it was cool, it really felt damp. We even have some fog this morning in N. Brazoria county.
I agree. The air wasn’t crisp. Yesterday morning felt quite a bit better. Plus today at work I started sweating a lot faster than I did yesterday.
Cpv17

Crazy stuff!! The NAM doesn’t have us getting out of the low to mid 50’s on Friday and has low 60’s for Saturday. What the heck? Lol

srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wednesday morning weather briefing from Jeff:

Strong cold front will blast across the region on Friday

Upper air pattern will amplify and produce a strong fall snowstorm across the northern plains and portions of the Rockies late this week. Modified Canadian air mass with temperatures currently in the 20’s will plow southward down the front range of the Rockies Thursday and across Texas and off the coast on Friday. Strong cold air advection will accompany this front with a sharp drop in temperatures of at least 15-20 degrees Friday as the front moves across the area. Many locations will see high temperatures in the low to mid 70’s prior to the frontal passage and then quickly fall into the low 60’s and eventually the 50’s by mid to late afternoon. Strong north winds of 15-25mph will result in a very cool afternoon and evening on Friday compared to the last several months.

Will likely see both pre frontal and post frontal showers and thunderstorms on Friday, but rain accumulations will likely be on the lower side or on average .25-.75 of an inch. Post frontal cloudy skies into Friday afternoon and evening will allow the cold shallow air mass to entrench over the area quickly on Friday.

Skies will begin to clear early Saturday, but cold air advection will remain in place and only allow temperatures to warm to near 70 on Saturday even with mostly sunny skies. Most of the day will be spent in the 60’s with NE winds…so it will continue to feel “cold”. Overnight lows Sunday morning should fall into the 50’s over nearly all of the area, except the coast where water temperatures and still very warm. Would not be surprised to see some of the western and northern areas fall into the 40’s.

Cold Canadian high pressure moves eastward later Sunday allowing a return of SE winds and heat and humidity will be back into the area on Monday along with daily rain chances.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
djmike

Any decent cold fronts on the horizon AFTER Fridays front? Soooo ready for the front parade. This heat and humidity coming back the next day is not fair. Lol
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Cpv17

djmike wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:46 pm Any decent cold fronts on the horizon AFTER Fridays front? Soooo ready for the front parade. This heat and humidity coming back the next day is not fair. Lol
No, there doesn’t appear to be anymore fronts coming anytime soon after the one on Friday. In fact, we have a pretty good chance at seeing a return to well above average temps and some strong chances for rain.
Cromagnum

Yeah, it's a tease. In beyond done with hot and humid. As soon as I can retire (in 25 years, sigh) I'm moving away from Houston
  • Information