September 2019 - Warm End of September

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Kingwood36 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:06 pm So where is this second round of storms coming from tonignt? Looking at radar its moving away from houston and in to lousiana
The storms that dumped 20" to the south of us didn't get going until after 10 last night, really blowing up after midnight. Impossible to pinpoint where another one of those could form later, just don't let your guard down. The atmosphere will become destabilized with sunshine starting to peak through and ample moisture should spark at least some scattered storms later this afternoon.
Blake
Boomer Sooner
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kingwood36 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:06 pm So where is this second round of storms coming from tonignt? Looking at radar its moving away from houston and in to lousiana
There remains a ton of deep tropical moisture in place across SE Texas and additional moisture streaming inland off the Gulf in the low level flow. As the airmass destabilizes this late this afternoon, additional showers and storms may develop. Then we still have to consider nocturnal tightening of storms near the circulation and additional feeder bands organizing just like they did around 3 to 4AM this morning. Those feeder bands can develop well S and W of the circulation. We will see how it plays out by the end of the day tomorrow. To add to Belmer's post, I've actually seen some peaks of sunshine a couple of brief moments up here in NW Harris County this afternoon. The atmosphere up here is very tropical and juicy right now.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/m ... anim=html5
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
DoctorMu

We're starting to see some wrap-around mini showers as the center moves NNW on the eastern shore of Lake Livingston.

We have a pinwheel-like line of showers developing from Marlin to Conroe.

Last edited by DoctorMu on Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikerack

Seeing some storms start to fire up near Conroe headed SE towards Kingwood
djmike

Thought we were gonna get a break with that dry slot west of beaumont but NOPE. It filled in and back to hours of rain. Im over it now. 2 days ago i was begging for rain, now nearing 11” in 2 days, I sure got what I wished for.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
davidiowx

djmike wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:49 pm Thought we were gonna get a break with that dry slot west of beaumont but NOPE. It filled in and back to hours of rain. Im over it now. 2 days ago i was begging for rain, now nearing 11” in 2 days, I sure got what I wished for.
I am afraid it is far from over for your area. You may be in the 20" department by tomorrow evening.
jasons2k

Yeah the ‘Conroe band’ stops just a couple of miles north of me. It is an intense one.

As others have pointed out, things could get interesting again overnight. I think a lot will depend on how far west the center can move (I sound like a broken record) but it will be feast or famine again, but possibly for different people.
sau27

18z HRRR wants to fire up storms around rush hour in southeast harris county and then really hammers the metro area late night into tomorrow morning. HRRR has been rather consistent in firing up a band around 4 or 5 pm. We are getting close to that time and radar is showing a few hints of showers popping south of town.

18z NAM 3km is starting to roll in. Not sure if there is an initialization problem or not but the first couple of hours are missing data it looks like.
bikerack

Seeing some storms spin up around Katy, being dragged east along I-10. Let's see if they fill in...
Rip76

They are firing up.
jasons2k

Yep, not over yet folks. May be a long night again.
sau27

For what its worth 18Z NAM 3km was somewhat similar. to 18z HRRR
Cpv17

Well wouldn’t you know, there’s actually storms firing up sw of Houston. Not much, but I’ll take it.
ccbluewater

I'd be extremely happy if we could manage to get in on the action even just a little bit this evening/tonight here in Cypress! Sun is out and it is steamy so hopefully that will help. Sitting at .40" to this point. However, I don't want to see the areas already hit hard get pummeled again by any means though.
sau27

Cloud top beginning to cool on satellite and lighting showing up in growing bands SW of Houston.
JDsGN

ccbluewater wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:33 pm I'd be extremely happy if we could manage to get in on the action even just a little bit this evening/tonight here in Cypress! Sun is out and it is steamy so hopefully that will help. Sitting at .40" to this point. However, I don't want to see the areas already hit hard get pummeled again by any means though.
We are hoping the same here in Fairfield. We got 2" last week which was nice but are sitting at about 0.2" right now from Imelda. Looks like the broken feeder band is pulling through south of us right now so we may have to hope the one near Navasota fires up and eases south.
Cpv17

JDsGN wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:37 pm
ccbluewater wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:33 pm I'd be extremely happy if we could manage to get in on the action even just a little bit this evening/tonight here in Cypress! Sun is out and it is steamy so hopefully that will help. Sitting at .40" to this point. However, I don't want to see the areas already hit hard get pummeled again by any means though.
We are hoping the same here in Fairfield. We got 2" last week which was nice but are sitting at about 0.2" right now from Imelda. Looks like the broken feeder band is pulling through south of us right now so we may have to hope the one near Navasota fires up and eases south.
Dang, you guys got about as much as me out of this mess. Makes me feel a little better lol
sau27

Satellite really beginning to pop again

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/sat ... product=ir
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The WPC is suggesting we need to keep an eye on tomorrow. That Moderate Risk of Excessive Rainfall includes all of Harris and Montgomery Counties. The sun is shining brightly in NW Harris County now...which is worrisome. I see several distinct bands of thunderstorms continuing to organize. And for my backyard rainfall, I emptied .70 out of the gauge at 7 AM this morning.
Attachments
98ewbg(7).gif
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Cpv17

Heavy rain band over central Wharton County now.
  • Information