August 2019: Weak Cold Front/Rain Chances To End August

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

I’m thinking my rain chances today are better than the NWS forecast of 40%.
DoctorMu

srainhoutx wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:13 am A couple of upper air disturbances are rotating South along the Eastern flank of the Upper Ridge to our West. Scattered showers/thunderstorms look possible throughout the weekend into Monday.
Yep. High pressure parked over the 4 Corners. This weekend may be the best shot of rain for us in the Brazos Valley for a week or two, assuming no tropical action where tempting fate is dangerous.

DoctorMu

jasons wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:14 pm OMG it's raining, at 9:52 at night, from a lone cell. We have been blessed many times this summer, and I am very thankful.

Edit: It's flipping pouring!!

Edit#2: Got .40" in about 15 minutes. Not bad!

We had 0.47 inches IMBY for the month of July. A little rain dance + east side of the 4 Corners ridge might do it today.
Cromagnum

I give up. New storms fired up, died, and then refired to my southeast
jasons2k

It’s 92 at my house with a dew point of 80. You’d think that would be enough to develop some storms - or at least maintain the stuff coming down from the north - but no...they keep fizzling. SMH...
DoctorMu

Cromagnum wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:47 pm I give up. New storms fired up, died, and then refired to my southeast
Same here. Lucy and the footballed again.
mckinne63

Clouded up in Stafford this morning, nice breeze, thought we may get a drop or two, but nothing. Sun is out now. Nothing but hot and steamy. We have had worse summers. Was still hoping for a shower or two today.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've had some sprinkles throughout the day, but nothing to speak of. I'm very content with clouds and lower temperatures in this sort of pattern. Folks, as 2011 taught us it could be far worse across Texas and our Region.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
aunneste

Harvey's issues were mostly a matter of Greater Houston's poor, sprawled out design. Had the area been a real dense and concentrated metro like NYC or the urban areas of Europe, there would not have been near the amount of devastation.

Meanwhile, the power was still on throughout that epic tempest. All you had to do was stock up, then hit up Neflix, YouTube, CrunchyRoll, etc that entire week while lots and lots of records were broken.

Way better than boring droughts that ruin the landscape. I'm sure you all agree, hence the lamenting every time the typical summer storms fail to hit the house.
BlueJay wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:11 pm Let us not forget:

With Harvey, an estimated 13 million people were affected, nearly 135,000 homes damaged or destroyed in the historic flooding, and up to a million cars were wrecked. The death toll is at 88. (Sep 7, 2018)
jasons wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:58 pm You would take an encore? Do you realize how close we came to losing the Barker dam?? If Harvey had not made that jog east and nailed Beaumont, we could have had a tsunami rolling down Buffalo Bayou.

We were much closer to that ‘worse case’ than what is widely reported or what most people realize. The death toll would have been horrendous, among other things.

Sorry, not many comments rile me up but this one does. Pretty insensitive if you ask me.
Cromagnum wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:27 pmWow, what a troll.
aunneste

Around the same time Harvey hit, Typhoon Hato struck the Hong Kong/Macau sector, a highly dense region right along the South China shore. And guess what? Only 26 fatalities. Truly demonstrates the impact that smart, dense infrastructure can have regarding the effects from these storms.

And with that monsoon, no worries about summer drought in Asia uglifying the landscape. North America is such a fail.
Cromagnum

Yards only really need about an inch of rain per week. We don't need a hurricane dude.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

aunneste wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:01 pm Harvey's issues were mostly a matter of Greater Houston's poor, sprawled out design. Had the area been a real dense and concentrated metro like NYC or the urban areas of Europe, there would not have been near the amount of devastation.

Meanwhile, the power was still on throughout that epic tempest. All you had to do was stock up, then hit up Neflix, YouTube, CrunchyRoll, etc that entire week while lots and lots of records were broken.

Way better than boring droughts that ruin the landscape. I'm sure you all agree, hence the lamenting every time the typical summer storms fail to hit the house.
BlueJay wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:11 pm Let us not forget:

With Harvey, an estimated 13 million people were affected, nearly 135,000 homes damaged or destroyed in the historic flooding, and up to a million cars were wrecked. The death toll is at 88. (Sep 7, 2018)
jasons wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:58 pm You would take an encore? Do you realize how close we came to losing the Barker dam?? If Harvey had not made that jog east and nailed Beaumont, we could have had a tsunami rolling down Buffalo Bayou.

We were much closer to that ‘worse case’ than what is widely reported or what most people realize. The death toll would have been horrendous, among other things.

Sorry, not many comments rile me up but this one does. Pretty insensitive if you ask me.
Cromagnum wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:27 pmWow, what a troll.
Hey aunneste. Srain's in the house. Do you remember your very first post that I did not approve before you started on your monsoon diatribe? You thought long and hard about your response to these post and edited exactly what you would say. Perhaps it is best that you step back from your lame attempt at trolling. I've lived in the Houston Metro for 60+ years. I suggest you tread lightly. There are multiple venues you may find across the internet that will appreciate your stance/posts. This venue is not one of them. ;)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
aunneste

srainhoutx wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:37 pmHey aunneste. Srain's in the house. Do you remember your very first post that I did not approve before you started on your monsoon diatribe? You thought long and hard about your response to these post and edited exactly what you would say. Perhaps it is best that you step back from your lame attempt at trolling. I've lived in the Houston Metro for 60+ years. I suggest you tread lightly. There are multiple venues you may find across the internet that will appreciate your stance/posts. This venue is not one of them. ;)
While my postings may have been contrarian and harsh on tread, the facts covered still stand. I know that there will be disagreement, but it doesn't necessarily imply trolling.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scattered storms west of town have been active tonight. The HRRR shows a good bit of moisture present on Sunday too before the heat really kicks in next week.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Cromagnum

Hope this rowdy area to the South stays strong and keeps marching north.
Cromagnum

And once again...dead at my door step. Time to drag out the damned hoses again...
DoctorMu

Finally. A downpour. 1.25 in IMBY so far. More rain than the total we've had since the summer solstice.

Wish I had mowed the back last night...but that's why I drove a piece to get a deal on a Cub Cadet walk behind. It's a beast.
Cpv17

Nothing again down here in central Wharton County.
jasons2k

Nothing here yesterday or today either.
jasons2k

From the NWS AFD: "West/northwest parts of the CWA may see their first triple digit highs of the summer going into the second half of the week and into the weekend."

Made me chuckle. I hit 100F back on July 18.
  • Information