February Weather Discussion. Wild Winter Storms?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Candy Cane wrote:Surface temps awfully warm and dewpoints awfully high. My phone is rung off the hook this morning, "hey, where's my snow?! You've been preaching this for a week!"

Rough being a meteorologist....Eh Cane?....LOL I am just messing with ya....
redneckweather

Well my dad just called my up here at my office. He lives not too far from where I do and said he just saw a few stray flurries in the air behind his house. I see that a large precip shield is moving in the area where he lives. He says it was snow but I'm a skeptic. I told him to call me when he sees more than a couple. :D
HouTXmetro

Candy Cane wrote:Surface temps awfully warm and dewpoints awfully high. My phone is rung off the hook this morning, "hey, where's my snow?! You've been preaching this for a week!"
Snow was not suppose to start until Late afternoon early Evening. Looks like everything is still on schedule.
wxdata
Site Admin
Site Admin

HGX:

report from RLO and TXDOT of sleet in Brazos and Burleson counties AT 1235 pm.

KBTX-TV Bryan "...pretty heavy sleet here at the studio (just about on the Bryan/College Station line) some sleet starting to accumulate on the cars in the parking lot"
don

not to get off topic but Euro looks interesting early next week...

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/ECMWF_12z/f168.gif
Mr. T

Everything is on schedule

patience grasshoper
rnmm

Pre-teens do not understand the word patience when it comes to snow :lol: :lol: mine are driving me crazy with texts and stuff about what you all are saying for our chances here LOL
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
Mr. T

Wouldn't be suprised if our snow comes from that stuff around Del Rio

CLL should be seeing some snow, if not in the next 30 minutes.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I think that things still look to be on track for a late afternoon/early eventing period of 1-2 hours of at least occasional snow across the city. South side would have a shorter period, north side toward the longer end of that range. Surface temps will likely be in the 34 (north) to 36 (south) range during the snow, so it'll be melting as it hits the ground. But if we get a strong enough burst of snow in some areas, it could easily accumulate on cars and grassy surfaces for at least long enough to measure the accumulation. Such a burst could drop an inch of snow in a very short period of time, but I suspect any measured accumulations across Houston would tend to be in the 1/4"-1/2" range. Temps 3-5F above freezing means it wont last long, so look fast! It's just really difficult to predict if and when these snow bursts will occur and how long they'll last, so predicting any temporary accumulations is next to impossible.

Here's a new meteogram for IAH. Nothing too exciting after today. Next Monday's storm is looking like a cold rain event for us. Probably a bit colder than the GFS meteogram below is indicating for next Monday.

ticka1

I am a mean mom - I told my DD14 is wasn't going to snow - we were too far south and it was too warm.....so if it does snow its a complete surprise but she won't pester me. Gotta love being the parent.
vbhoutex

Looking at radars, local obs,etc. I have to agree that it appears that this will play out as predicted. However, it has warmed up 2 degrees at my house in Spring Branch since mid morning. That is a little weird considering we have been having some light rain on and off. ULL center is now near Big Bend or a little East of there so it appears to be on progged track. If anything it may have more moisture to work with than first thought so I will be watching this unfold with much interest.
brazoria_county22

ticka1 wrote:I am a mean mom - I told my DD14 is wasn't going to snow - we were too far south and it was too warm.....so if it does snow its a complete surprise but she won't pester me. Gotta love being the parent.

NWS still calling for a rain/snow mix down ehere for us coastal peeps...
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

vbhoutex wrote:Looking at radars, local obs,etc. I have to agree that it appears that this will play out as predicted. However, it has warmed up 2 degrees at my house in Spring Branch since mid morning. That is a little weird considering we have been having some light rain on and off. ULL center is now near Big Bend or a little East of there so it appears to be on progged track. If anything it may have more moisture to work with than first thought so I will be watching this unfold with much interest.
Up here too David. But the DP has dropped though. Now down to 34 and the wind has really picked up the past 20 minutes. Also noticed it's the sky is getting darker to my W.

Edit to add that the rain has started now as well.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Mr. T

Current ob out of CLL is moderate rain, however, I bet it is mixed with snow and will likely change to all snow with the next update. Just a few miles north, Hearne is experiencing moderate snowfall with visibility down to 1/4 mile. CLL is likely about to see a nice snowfall rate.

Corsicana is also seeing near heavy snowfall with a temp of 31.
randybpt

Definitely a bust sun is out temps in upper 40' s here beaumont still going with my gut on this one and keeping no snow out south of hwy 105
Mr. T

randybpt wrote:Definitely a bust sun is out temps in upper 40' s here beaumont still going with my gut on this one and keeping no snow out south of hwy 105
ok
Mr. T

If any of our posters in the CLL area would like to give us some updates, that would be great!
polisciaggie

Really heavy sleet a few minutes ago at CLL, snow its snowing really heavy.
Mr. T

polisciaggie wrote:Really heavy sleet a few minutes ago at CLL, snow its snowing really heavy.
I thought so!!!

You have a lot more snow to come! Enjoy this one
redneckweather

Just heard from another buddy....snow is now falling in College Station.
  • Information