February Weather Discussion. Wild Winter Storms?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
lpweather

This is going to be an interesting evening. Hoping for some snow like Dec 2008 down in Deer Park area. :roll:
C2G

rnmm wrote:You guys think if I go outside and do a snow dance it will help our odds here on the coast :D
You're not quite on the coast there, rnmmm. In fact you're just about ten miles south of me. You may see a flake or two later.
brazoria_county22

Cloud2ground wrote:
rnmm wrote:You guys think if I go outside and do a snow dance it will help our odds here on the coast :D
You're not quite on the coast there, rnmmm. In fact you're just about ten miles south of me. You may see a flake or two later.
us folks on the coast have a good chance of seeing it fall but it will be after sunset more like around midnite or after
rnmm

After midnight is not a good time for me since I like to sleep :lol: I wonder if I can talk it into coming sooner :lol:
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

E-mail from Jeff...
Heavy snow falling along I-35 from N of San Antonio to Waco moving eastward toward SE TX. Webcams show great big flakes (around the size of a half dollar) leading to quick accumulations in the heavy bursts. Heavy sleet was reported the last hour in College Station and Hearne, TX had about 1.5” on the ground of snow.

Slowly but surely the RA/SN line is marching SE and will enter into our NW counties shortly. Convective looking radar out of C TX supports very heavy snowfall rates of 1-2” per hour with quick accumulations even with surface temperatures above freezing as noted thus far along I-35 with visibilities dropping below .25 of a mile in very heavy snow. Radar SW of HOU shows increasing echoes which will help start cooling the lower air column. May see some IP/RA mix over the metro area this afternoon and then the change to SN/RA mix late afternoon/early evening.

Will not mess with accumulations at this time as the event is unfolding, although overall totals will be hard to determine as much will melt on impact and between the heavy snow bursts. Will let the previous accumulations go forward…a lot of us will see snow, but many will not see much on the ground…if only for a short while.

Still looking like there could be issues early Wednesday morning as the freezing line get deeper into the area and meltwater begins to freeze into a glaze on area bridges/overpasses. Not sure exactly where the 32F line will end up…but current indications place it from just N of Wharton to Katy to Kingwood to Liberty…north of that will likely see any water freeze up.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
redneckweather

Here is an interesting comparison of local obs. My ranch is on the outskirts of North Zulch in Madison County. Right now it says that they are sitting at 32 degrees with a DP of 30 with light snow. Just 10 minutes to the east in Madisonville it is 39 degrees with a DP of 36. That's a big difference.
Karen

Yesterday channel 2 was showing a future cast, it was showing that the snow did not make it any farther south than the Austin area. Watching the line this morning it looks like this may be true. I hope I am wrong.
sleetstorm

In case any of you care, it seems like the city of Sealy is currently getting a mix of rain and sleet or snow. It is somewhat arduous for to be able to decipher, but I do believe that they are at last receiving a witry mix. Please feel free to rectify me if I am not quite right about that.
Last edited by sleetstorm on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HouTXmetro

Karen wrote:Yesterday channel 2 was showing a future cast, it was showing that the snow did not make it any farther south than the Austin area. Watching the line this morning it looks like this may be true. I hope I am wrong.
Channel 2 FAIL

http://www.corad.org/texas_radar.htm

The snow Line is Well South of Austin now.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Surface temps awfully warm and dewpoints awfully high. My phone is rung off the hook this morning, "hey, where's my snow?! You've been preaching this for a week!"
  • Information