February Weather Discussion. Wild Winter Storms?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jean10

Snowing in Katy.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I will soon traverse the roadways from SE Houston to Humble. I will file a report when I get home.
svrwx0503
Pro Met
Pro Met

Getting sleet here on the far west side around the west oaks area.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Snow in NW Harris County (started around 5 PM). I see James has joined the snow party.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Hardcoreweather

HGX: Crockett [Houston Co, TX] law enforcement reports SNOW of E3.0 INCH at 04:55 PM CST -- 3 inches of snow accumulation reported across parts of houston county
msanwxfan

sleeting in spring branch and spring valley area
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It appears that the models performed very well with this event (GFS not NAM). The heavier precip will end across Houston in the next few hours. GFS had predicted by around 9pm. About right. But the main upper-level impulse will pass through late tonight/early tomorrow. Could be a few light flurries with it.

Any accumulating snow has so far been confined to the northern part of the county, ant temps remain above freezing there. Elsewhere, high temps and high dew points (well above freezing) resulted in a mostly rain event. We really needed to have dew points starting out in the mid to upper 20s to have had a shot at widespread accumulations across Houston. The warm layer at the surface was just too much for the snow to overcome as it fell. The temperature can't drop if the dew point is in the 34-37 degree range. The airmass to our north just wasn't cold enough for advection alone to get us below freezing.

But I still think most of us (except near the coast) will see at least some snow fall in the next 5-8 hours. The later it falls, the lighter it'll be, though. Down to 38 at my house now, a sign that maybe I'll see some sleet soon. Maybe a bit of snow by 7pm to 8pm.
vbhoutex

Now snowing in the Spring Branch area.BIG flakes!! Transitioned quickly from rain to sleet to sleet/snow to snow.
rnmm

Wxman so we will see no snow here or only occasional flurries? We are just trying to catch a couple of pics Thanks
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
brazoria_county22

wxman57 wrote:It appears that the models performed very well with this event (GFS not NAM). The heavier precip will end across Houston in the next few hours. GFS had predicted by around 9pm. About right. But the main upper-level impulse will pass through late tonight/early tomorrow. Could be a few light flurries with it.

Any accumulating snow has so far been confined to the northern part of the county, ant temps remain above freezing there. Elsewhere, high temps and high dew points (well above freezing) resulted in a mostly rain event. We really needed to have dew points starting out in the mid to upper 20s to have had a shot at widespread accumulations across Houston. The warm layer at the surface was just too much for the snow to overcome as it fell. The temperature can't drop if the dew point is in the 34-37 degree range. The airmass to our north just wasn't cold enough for advection alone to get us below freezing.

But I still think most of us (except near the coast) will see at least some snow fall in the next 5-8 hours. The later it falls, the lighter it'll be, though. Down to 38 at my house now, a sign that maybe I'll see some sleet soon. Maybe a bit of snow by 7pm to 8pm.

well that pretty much seals my faith...no snw for me :(
  • Information