We Need Your Help: Donations

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone has made an easy transition over to the new site! We've updated the board overall and now have a SSL secured site (https) along with many exciting features we hope to bring to the board over the next several months . With that said, supporting the site by the staff alone is something that is not sustainable over the longterm. Simply put, we are asking for your help and support to help keep this great community going. Currently, I have included the current breakdown of costs based on our most recent estimates.

• Domain Registration: $20 a year
  • Server costs: $50-60 a month (estimated)
  • SSL Certificates: $60 a year

That breaks down to about $67 a month to effectively maintain what we currently have, but doesn't include the possibility of server upgrades if the site expands or if we have a very busy weather season. A PayPal account for "Weather Infinity" has been created where anyone that is able to donate can. I know I speak for the community as a whole when I say thank you to anyone who does help support us. This environment helps so many people remain informed and we hope to keep going for a long time.

If you feel like you can donate, I have included a link at the bottom of this thread, but you can also click the donate button in the footer on the bottom of any page. If you do donate, please include your username in the memo option so we can keep up with who is donating.

-The Weather Infinity Team

For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
unome

Last edited by unome on Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

unome wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:39 am 1,095 registered users in our weather forum, per the current Member List: memberlist.php

also, fyi, I got an "invalid/expired session" error message from the link in this post.

the link at the bottom of the main page brought me to a good donate page though - this is a great idea

edit to add: LOVE the secure, https - big thank you to everyone who makes this site possible

Thanks Unome for the update about the link. It should be fixed now. We have some good support here and I hope we can continue to get more. It has been very encouraging. We hope to continue to improve on the site and really have it as a resource many people can use.
Clipper

I'll be more then happy to make a donation.
Clipper

“The sky is the limit only for those who aren't afraid to fly!”
--Bob Bello
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

To those that have made donations to our new Wx Infinity Forums, we thank you so very much. So many expressed a desire to keep our Weather Community going, and we thank everyone for those commitments. Please take some time to make your donations to assist us in growing and maintaining and keep our Wx Infinity Forums alive throughout the coming year. We promise to keep expenditures completely transparent. We need a minimum of $750.00 a year to pay bills. All donations both small and large guarantee our Weather Forum will remain operational. To those that have already donated, we Thank You. We honor those that have stepped up to keep our Historical Weather Community alive! This is YOUR online Weather Community and the Team intends to keep it that way!
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Ounce

I would recommend a 'friendly reminder' in order to remind people. Maybe quarterly, unless cash flow needs more flow...possibly on the date of each season's first day.

If the flow is really good, then stretch it out to the first day and last day of hurricane season, in keeping with the weather-based theme of these boards.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ounce wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:20 pm I would recommend a 'friendly reminder' in order to remind people. Maybe quarterly, unless cash flow needs more flow...possibly on the date of each season's first day.

If the flow is really good, then stretch it out to the first day and last day of hurricane season, in keeping with the weather-based theme of these boards.
Hey Ounce, we will probably do friendly reminders here and there, but so far the outreach and support has been pretty incredible. We are currently over $600 raised which should almost support a full year (assuming we don't have to upgrade servers). Personally, I did not think we would get to that number so quickly, so I can't thank everyone enough who donated. That is primary reason why we haven't been more aggressive in asking for more donations. We are going to keep donations open though, because further donations will cover additional months and help fund additional features for the site.

We are also looking at adding 1-2 ads to the site for additional revenue, but that is something still in the discussion because the last thing we want is an ad-covered site that discourages people from using it. Once again though, all of us here can't thank everyone enough who've donated. It really has been wonderful to see all the support.
Kludge

Done. Thanks Andrew.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kludge wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:06 pm Done. Thanks Andrew.
Thank you for your support Kludge! We continue to see a great turnout from the community and it has been spectacular to see.
walterh2k

Just donated. Keep it running another month

Walter H.
Twitter: @walterhattox
  • Information