December 2018: Sunshine Returns New Years Eve

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
don

The Euro for the last couple of days has been moving a cold core low from north Texas to southeast Texas late Thursday/Friday with wrap around moisture, the problem is surface temps look too warm for snow at the time, but something to watch. Saying that, if the Euro's scenario were to transpire i would think the upper levels would be cold enough to produce at least a rain/sleet mix even with surface temps in the 40's as we've seen a few times in the past. The national weather service mentioned it in their discussion this morning.
Will need to keep an eye on the ECMWF
solution for this Wed-Fri time period as it suggests the potential
for some snow in TX with a more southerly low pressure system. As
it is the outlier at the moment have left it to wander down it`s
own path.
https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... glossary=1

srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Light frost across NW Harris County this morning. I see Cleveland dropped to 32F. Don, the Euro solution has been showing up a couple day off and on. While it may be an outlier, a Modoki El Nino does support a more southerly storm track and perhaps its a harbinger of things to come as we get deeper into Winter. I continue to see an active weather pattern ahead during the "moderation period" the next couple of weeks. I still see indications of a major pattern change around the Christmas Holiday period into the New Years Eve timeframe.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
CRASHWX

Global pattern pointing to changes around Christmas
:ugeek: CRASHWX :ugeek:
CRASHWX

Joe Bastardi just said Artic Air will overwhelm the pattern by day 16...massive thunderstorms in the Indian Ocean and sinking air over Asia will trigger is and will continue to trigger a stratta warm event over Siberia which will transfer over over the Artic and opens the Arctic he compares to 1966....I guess we will see
MontgomeryCoWx

The beautiful thing about this El Nino pattern is the next two weeks leading up to the colder pattern change is very seasonal. We don't see 70s the next two weeks and won't have warm, humid weather.

This is how the Fall and Winter should be. Moderate and cold, moderate and cold.
Team #NeverSummer
jasons2k

I would love some 70's. Feels great, no matter what month or season it is.

At least the sun is out today - I can resume running again but it will have to be after work. Too cold in the morning for me - I don't like running in the 30's. 45-50F is about my cutoff.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Compact upper low Thursday into Friday has trended much deeper and more phased with a Northern stream shortwave. The 12Z NAM and GFS took steps toward the European model solution last night. Still too warm at the surface for any potential wintry mischief other than possibly a sleet pellet or two with wrap around moisture, but it does appear to be a very windy storm system.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Cpv17

We might need to watch next Wednesday for another significant rain event.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

FXUS64 KHGX 101726
AFDHGX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
1126 AM CST Mon Dec 10 2018

.AVIATION...
Not a lot of issues with the 18Z TAFS as VFR conditions prevail.
This looks to be mainly a wind shift forecast as the N/NW winds
this afternoon become more S/SE by Tues morning/afternoon. 41

&&

.PREV DISCUSSION... /ISSUED 953 AM CST Mon Dec 10 2018/

Weather conditions today are relatively quiet with high pressure
over central Texas that should move over the area tonight. High
temperatures in the 50s look on track. The only forecast
adjustments were for ongoing T/Td trends which were still pretty
much on track. Next chance of rain looks to be Wednesday night
into Thursday.

Overpeck

&&

.PRELIMINARY POINT TEMPS/POPS...
College Station (CLL) 55 36 60 47 66 / 0 0 0 10 10
Houston (IAH) 55 37 60 49 67 / 0 0 0 0 10
Galveston (GLS) 55 47 60 56 67 / 0 0 0 0 10

&&

.HGX WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...
TX...NONE.
GM...NONE.
&&

$$
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also going to have to keep an eye on gusty winds Thursday evening into the overnight hours. Some of the models are showing 50-60mph winds possible across the panhandle into central Texas behind the low pressure. A gale warning will also be possible during that same time period. As for Christmas it is too far out to really say right now. Models are all over the place but have been showing some cold air pooling in central and western Canada, so something to watch.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Temps mostly in the 30s across SE TX this morning. Expect another nice cool day with some high clouds streaming across the area later this afternoon ahead of the next front and associated low pressure. Rain and thunderstorms increase Wednesday night into Thursday morning. The SPC has a marginal risk area for severe thunderstorms from the Houston-Galveston areas E and NE into LA. Expect winds to increase behind the front with Wind Advisories likely for portions of SE TX and Gale Warnings along the coast. Strong winds will be widespread across much of TX Thursday into Friday.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 5.15.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 5.15.10 AM.png (17.36 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 5.18.05 AM.png
snowman65

christmas.JPG
Christmas day GFS...I know it will change but still fun the share :)
MontgomeryCoWx

LOCK. IT. IN!

Christmas Day!
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

snowman65 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:13 am christmas.JPGChristmas day GFS...I know it will change but still fun the share :)
Hahaha... beat me to the punch.
Team #NeverSummer
snowman65

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:30 am
snowman65 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:13 am christmas.JPGChristmas day GFS...I know it will change but still fun the share :)
Hahaha... beat me to the punch.
Cool...I never win anything....LOL
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moderate frost across NW Harris County this morning with a light freeze to boot. Daytime highs since Saturday have been a good 10 to 15 degrees colder than normal for this time of year. Keep a close eye on our sneaky compact storm system arriving late Wednesday into Friday. The guidance continue to intensify the storm system over Texas and cut it off from the main flow across the Nation. Very windy conditions are likely a may lead to travel troubles across at least the Eastern half of Texas into Louisiana. Nice little Christmas Miracle on those very long range charts! Perhaps everything we have seen projected in the longer range guidance is lining up for Winter Weather Lovers. Time will tell!

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
CrashTestDummy

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:20 am LOCK. IT. IN!

Christmas Day!
Crap! That means being out in the rain and possibly snow on Christmas day covering trees! Boo!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
CRASHWX

MJO moves into 3/4 phase over next few days into first of next week...then moves to 5 in the days leading up to Christmas...from what I have looked at the 3 and 4 phase goes along with the strattawarm idea? Moving into phase 5 then opens the door on cold. I have seen 10 plus late December and January patterns and they look very very similar to what we have know and telegraphs the above ad those previous patterns moved the exact same direction. An y Pro Mets with Ideas on this. I am really trying understand?
harp

How far out did the GFS predict your November snow dusting?
Texaspirate11

Whats the EURO say about Christmas so far out?????
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
  • Information