December 2018: Sunshine Returns New Years Eve

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
MontgomeryCoWx

Today is some perfect Christmas shopping weather. Feels like the Holidays!
Team #NeverSummer
unome

West Gulf River Forecast Center has a helpful "weather story" graphic showing status/crest/draining timelines for various area rivers
https://www.weather.gov/wgrfc/
https://www.weather.gov/images/wgrfc/latestBriefing.jpg
https://twitter.com/NWSWGRFC/status/1071434228884066304
The heaviest rainfall has moved east. Light to moderate precip is expected, but should not impact expected river forecasts. The river flooding for the coast will be around for a while, so be aware and exercise caution. #txflood
DoctorMu

4.1 in of rain here at the airport.

The forecast definitely delivered. It was pretty nasty most of yesterday day without much let-up.
CRASHWX

Stuck at 46 all day Hardin County central
:ugeek: CRASHWX :ugeek:
jasons2k

Been too cold to run all weekend. Maybe, if the sun can peek out, I can get one in this afternoon. My waistline needs it!
TexasBreeze

I will be happy to see the sun again! Looks like cloud cover is starting to thin slowly.
CRASHWX

Interesting 16 days maybe on the horizon
harp

Image didn't show up.
CRASHWX

Attachments
Sno cover
Sno cover
CRASHWX

Weatherbell.com Saturday update says Stratawarm underway goes mild for lead up to Christmas then goes cold. Very cold over Asia...the cold will not move as much reform on our side. The video was very informative.
CRASHWX

Oh you have scroll down to Bastardi and click on his photo then the free public videos will be at the top
DoctorMu

jasons wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:52 am Been too cold to run all weekend. Maybe, if the sun can peek out, I can get one in this afternoon. My waistline needs it!
Nah. It's perfect. No sweat. My son ran a half-marathon this morning.
MontgomeryCoWx

This is perfect running weather.

I used to run in 5 degree weather. That’s cold. This is not cold. This is perfect.

I only run outside from October to March/April. The rest of the year is hell.
Team #NeverSummer
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Greetings, y'all--been a while since I've posted. Couple of things:

First, big shout out to Steve and Andrew for saving the board. We're so glad its got a new home and a beautiful face lift. It looks great!

Second, would you guys mind giving me a follow on twitter? If you haven't followed me already, my twitter handle is @KHOUBlake11. I'd really appreciate it.

Third, the pattern we've been in has been sort of blah. Of course, I'm comparing this year to last year when we had already had our first accumulating snowfall at this point. That said, we DID have trace snowfall at nearly every recording site back in mid November coupled with a pair of freezes. So speaking in terms of a spoiled brat who wants more, this pattern is super lame. While we've had some amplification in the jet on the synoptic scale, nothing has really been worth writing home about.

However, I see things maybe trying to change for the colder by Christmas as the pattern becomes a little more amplified with a building ridge into Alaska to the east of several strong Aleutian lows -- one of which powers up into a 967 mb low. So we'll have to watch Asia and the Gulf of Alaska carefully in the weeks ahead. It's way in the extended beyond day 10.

Taking a look at one of the source regions, in this case northern Alaska, I don't see any signs of things getting super cold there (-40s/-50s) and until I see it build there, it's hard to get excited about anything down here. Of course my high-res Euro/GFS only goes to day 10 and not beyond.

I'll keep an eye out for the first signs of any potential wintry weather. Right now, I don't see anything of interest through the next 10 days unfortunately.
CRASHWX

Lots of warm water in Waters off Alaska along with Stratta warm...will watching for ridge to build in the northwest.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

The 18z FV3-GFS certainly raises an eyebrow for Christmas Day -- 384 hours out.
harp

The GFS has been hinting at the things mentioned here. That, towards the end of the month, the arctic will unload on the lower 48. It may just as easily take it away on the next run. At least it's something to watch.
MontgomeryCoWx

KHOU BLake wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:03 pm The 18z FV3-GFS certainly raises an eyebrow for Christmas Day -- 384 hours out.
1055 high coming down the Rockies... I’d say so.

Existing GFS shows highs in the 40s Christmas Day.
Team #NeverSummer
harp

and, just like that, the 0Z has us in the 60's for Christmas day.....
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Its another chilly morning across SE TX and the skies have cleared. Tuesday will be another mostly sunny day before clouds increase Wednesday morning ahead of the next low pressure system and cold front with rain and thunderstorms Thursday.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 5.17.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 5.17.47 AM.png (73.08 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
  • Information