Meteor over Austin, now one over Clear Lake?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Gator
Location: Southeast Harris County (between Friendswood & I-45)

As I was driving home just after sunset tonight (Nov 16 at 6:02pm) and I had just turned off of I-45 onto southwest bound FM2351 when I saw a bright fireball almost due south of me burning across the sky just below the crescent moon towards the southwest horizon. Given the normal ambient light in the Houston night sky the fact that I saw this at all indicates that it must have been quite bright. And given that there was one over Austin last night, I have to wonder if there's some sort of Leonid fireball shower going of? I mean, I watch the sky a lot, and I'd never seen a fireball like this! The Leonid radiant hasn't even risen yet.
Last edited by Gator on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Leonid Meteor Showers peak this weekend. 2001 was extremely impressive while viewing from the Florida Keys. I find it impressive that we've seen evidence of another active meteor shower this year locally.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
CrashTestDummy

We were sitting in the hot tub last night and I saw one over northern Brazoria county about 2030-2100. It was headed northeastward, and was a nice, long burn of probably two to three seconds. Didn’t see any more, though, at all.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
  • Information