JANUARY 2018 - Seasonal WX Week/Pacific Front Saturday

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reports from the San Antonio/Austin area state that surface road are icing up now (not bridges/overpasses).
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

IAH has reported light snow the last two obs. HGX is trying to verify. If the observation is correct, that would tie the 1973 Winter where 3 snow events occurred.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Starting to snow at my place. My truck is invaded in ice
ronyan

KLBX station is also reporting light snow currently.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

HGX confirms the light snow report at IAH, so we've tied the record. Also Aircraft sounding data suggests a warm nose between 5800 to 2500 feet, but cooling at both IAH and Hobby. Cooling off that warm nose is expect to continue throughout the day.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
LightningBolt

Light sleet here on the farm in central Liberty County. Back deck is white, wind is howling, and dog didn't want to go out. I think that home made chicken soup is on the menu today. Stay safe everyone.
christinac2016

KHOU BLake wrote:Starting to snow at my place. My truck is invaded in ice

I haven't seen snow YET and I'm in the same area as you. My car is covered in ice though. My stairs are iced over.
Heat Miser
Location: FM 528 @ I45 border of League City, Webster, Friendswood

2.0" reported January 11th, 1973. Let's beat that one since most people should be home today. The other two snowfall events happened in February, the last started on my 5th birthday.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

So far only drizzle and 35F in League City but I think that will be changing shortly.
snowman65

This reminds me of the great ice storm January 13, 1997 here in S.E. Tx that lasted for days and left 90,000 homes without power. You could, at any time, walk out and hear (and see) huge limbs break and fall due to the weight of the ice. I remember going to the lumber store to but 2x4's (untreated!) to burn in the fireplace just to stay warm. That was NO fun....
Cromagnum

Unless the radar returns get stronger suddenly, it looks like everything is over with in an hour or two. Just looks like a bunch of nothing between here and San Antonio. Are we expecting a blow up?

sau27

What a time to be a weather-geek in Houston.
sau27

Cromagnum wrote:Unless the radar returns get stronger suddenly, it looks like everything is over with in an hour or two. Just looks like a bunch of nothing between here and San Antonio. Are we expecting a blow up?

It was mentioned a bit earlier, but precip is so light that it may not all be picked up by radar. All it takes in these temperatures is a fine mist to cause issues.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

f Lindner‏Verified account @JeffLindner1 · 6m6 minutes ago
Next batch of precipitation moving in will worsen road conditions along and N of US 59. High flyover connectors starting ice in parts of west Harris #houwx

01162018 Jeff 1 DTqsq0YVQAE_q2e.jpg

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
don

So far the Texas WRF and HRRR look to be pretty spot on,I think the band around San Antonio is the beginning of possible mesoscale banding that moves into the area later that the models have been showing.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Multiple reports of heavy sleet across Burleson & Washington County / into Brazos County with the heavy band in that area. Also Jeff reports accidents occurring on HWY 290 near Hockley on East toward town due to icing in NW Harris County.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
DoctorMu

snowman65 wrote:This reminds me of the great ice storm January 13, 1997 here in S.E. Tx that lasted for days and left 90,000 homes without power. You could, at any time, walk out and hear (and see) huge limbs break and fall due to the weight of the ice. I remember going to the lumber store to but 2x4's (untreated!) to burn in the fireplace just to stay warm. That was NO fun....
Probably too much wind for ice accumulation on limbs, but raised surfaces are big trouble.

Band of snow approaching College Station. Hope there's not too much verga.
wxdude

Sleeting in West Columbia.
MontgomeryCoWx

I think I see on the radar where our first meso band wants to set up.

Draw a line from Giddings to Willis and from La Grange to Spring. Between those two lines.

Radar is starting to fill in now
Team #NeverSummer
jasons2k

Good morning everyone. I woke-up to pings of sleet starting at 5:50am. It got a little heavy for awhile. The rooftops and elevated surfaces are white. The ground is frozen with a layer of sleet as well. It's a chilly 28 and dropping. Yes, a good day to stay at home and have some homemade chicken noodle soup.
  • Information