August 2017: Looking Back at Harvey 5 Year Later

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Snowman

The rain shield seems to be peeling back to the west. Hopefully that dry air will make it hard for Harvey to drag more moisture out of the gulf as we get into the evening hours
brooksgarner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hi Guys. We still here. Dry and at PBS. Thanks for great work on this forum. We are referencing this for many of our updates.
Broadcast Met
http://BrooksGarner.com
http://twitter.com/BrooksWeather
  • '17 Harvey
  • '12 Sandy (P3 Orion)
  • '91 Bob
  • '85 Gloria
BlueJay

Thanks Brooks! We missed seeing you, David, Blake and Chita! Glad y'all got things up and going again.
jasons2k

Short term models want to nail a large part of the area again tonight with incredible rainfall.
Heat Miser
Location: FM 528 @ I45 border of League City, Webster, Friendswood

The so called dry slot is intensifying per my trained eye on the radar.
mckinne63

It's been raining all day in Stafford, and been getting hammered for about the last hour. Very scared and worried. My heart and head are just aching watching these images and seeing the roadways.
vci_guy2003

I am flying into Austin tomorrow, and trying to drive back to Houston. Are there any roads open into the nw side of town, 1960/Bammel N. Houston area?
prospects8903

Harvey looks to be gaining strength and getting wrapped up tightly
Freeporttx3334

Getting a good heavy steady rain in freeport
javakah

prospects8903 wrote:Harvey looks to be gaining strength and getting wrapped up tightly
Hmm, that's not what it's looking like to me on radar. Looking to me like it's remained about the same (with the huge band over Houston very slowly weakening).

But the big thing to me is that it's looking like the center has picked up a bit of speed moving east (with the center just about to pass south of Houston, offshore).
Last edited by javakah on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

vci_guy2003 wrote:I am flying into Austin tomorrow, and trying to drive back to Houston. Are there any roads open into the nw side of town, 1960/Bammel N. Houston area?
Check DriveTexas.org
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Snowman

It looks to me like Harvey is moving east at a fairly fast pace right now. Does anyone else agree or am I looking at it wrong?
javakah

Snowman wrote:It looks to me like Harvey is moving east at a fairly fast pace right now. Does anyone else agree or am I looking at it wrong?
Sure looking like that to me as well.
Snowman

javakah wrote:
Snowman wrote:It looks to me like Harvey is moving east at a fairly fast pace right now. Does anyone else agree or am I looking at it wrong?
Sure looking like that to me as well.
If it continues east at that speed we won't be dealing with Harvey anymore in a matter of hours
Freeporttx3334

Bastrop Bayou, Chocolate Bayou and Halls Bayou all have topped their banks in Brazoria county.
prospects8903

Is it possible Harvey pulls a Humberto?
sswinney

jasons wrote:
sswinney wrote:This has been absolutely insane. I watched the water rise into my home early Sunday morning. I called for evac but none ever came. Eventually after 7 hours of waiting I left on foot. I trekked about 2 miles through varying heights of water finally finding a national guard truck that took me to a shelter. From there I was able to line up a hotel and get to it. I don't know when I'll be able to go back home. I'm good now but nervous about my home near Dickinson. I just want this to stop for everyone.
OMG, I can't even imagine. Glad to hear you are safe!
Thanks
Been here for years since Katrina.
Waded

Folks, I just got this on emergency alert on my phone - " LAE in this area till 5:59 PM CST. Assess. TX Galevsto."

What does this mean?
TexasBreeze

The system does appear to be directly south of the area scooting east putting more of the area under ne flow which is better than se flow. Could cut off the rains sooner.
DoctorMu

Heat Miser wrote:The dry slot has shifted from last night, which isn't very funny. What was seen as the end has now become the most enriched area of this storm. That darn Gulf sure affects these storms which just suck up that warm gulf water. If this monster stalls just a fraction here or there can make all the difference in who gets what tonight, tomorrow. I'm leaving my truck as elevated as I can get it because this isn't over by any stretch. Remember, the forecast didn't have us getting the catastrophic flooding until about 24 hours after we already got it. Meteorologist, my heart goes out to you predicting something so unpredictable.

The dry slot is near Beaumont and Lake Charles now. Harvey's inner core is protecting itself...and parked near Houston, unfortunately.
  • Information