Spring Leaf Index - Spring Arrives Early

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
DoctorMu

Two weeks early. A month earlier that 2015. I've never seen anything like it. The grass has been mowed for a 3rd time.
CrashTestDummy

We have neither lilac or honeysuckle, but the Ash tree started budding out about 3 weeks ago, and our Live Oaks have started last week. I'm also seeing some sprouting on our cottonwood, and just yesterday, I looked up and it appears the buds on our sweetgum are getting bigger.

These trees seems to be more sensitive to hours of daylight than temp, as we've had several years we've had the Ash in almost full leaf and had a late season freeze. It just seems to push out more leaves, though.

They're hinting at another cold snap about 10 days out, but how cold depends on how far westward the big lump of arctic air comes when pushing southeastward. Fingers crossed it's no worse than this last week.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
BlueJay

Bluebonnet sighting yesterday off of Highway 105 toward Brenham!
CrashTestDummy

Our orange and grapefruit trees started blooming early last week. Probably starting this week, that side of the house should be intoxicating with citrus blossoms. :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
  • Information