#NTWC16 Remembering Dr. Bill Gray

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is my great Honor to announce that I will again be attending the 2016 National Tropical Weather Conference in South Padre Island April 13th through 16th representing KHOU.com and our KHOU Weather Forum. This conference is for Media Meteorologists and special invited guests. I personally want to thank Christine Di Stadio, Director of KHOU.com for allowing me to represent our online Weather Community. Former National Hurricane Directors Dr. Neil Frank, Max Mayfield and Bill Read will be speaking as well as Dan Brown (NHC), Dr. Brian Zachry (NHC), and Dr. Phil Klotzbach (CSU). Other Presenters that many will know include Josh Morgerman (iCyclone), Lew Fincher, Tim Marshall, Mark Sudduth, and Mike Watkins as well as others. I believe that our own wxman57 may be speaking if he can decide between staying here in Texas or traveling to the AMS Hurricane Conference in Puerto Rico. I also believe that Katdaddy has been invited for the 3rd year in a row to attend by the Conference Organizers. We will be providing updates as we get closer about the Conference as well as daily “live” updates during the Conference in April.

http://hurricanecenterlive.com/
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I've opted for South Padre vs. San Juan. I never received an invitation to the conference, though. Alex has me speaking on Thursday and on a panel on Friday.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Its now official. I will be attending my 3rd National Tropical Weather Conference the April. So many iconic people in the tropical weather world.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great news Brian. Since United has changed both my arriving and departing flights, I will wait for you and woman57 on the 13th to arrive so we can all ride to South Padre Island together. The KHOU Weather Forum will be well represented again this year. I sent Doc Neil a note on Friday letting him know we look forward to visiting with him again in April.
Attachments
04202015 NTWC Group Pic 11148486_1068122739869294_3106269431461917497_o.jpg
04202015 NTWC Neil and Bill 11136168_1067779103236991_2657339119897569057_o.jpg
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
vbhoutex

I will also be there representing STORM2K. Looking forward to a great time with a lot of great presentations. See you there, Brian, wxman57 and Steve. Steve and I have the same flight down so I'll be waiting too. See you there.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

So glad you are going David and representing Storm2k at the 2016 National Tropical Weather Conference. Looks like we are on the same flight from IAH down to Harlingen on April 13th.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I am also very glad David will be attending this year and representing Storm2k and I look forward to representing the KHOU Weather Forum again with you Steve. I will be flying out of Hobby at 9:10AM on the 13th.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Alex just arranged for my flight. Depart Hobby at 9:10am (Katdaddy's flight) and return 12:40pm Sunday.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

We're getting close to that time of year when attention turns to the Tropics and those of us attending the 2016 National Tropical Weather Conference received our Conference Information Package yesterday. Only 3 short weeks until we all depart for S Padre Island for another great Conference. Dr. Phil Klotzbach will issue his 2016 Atlantic Tropical First Seasonal Outlook on Thursday, April 14th at 9:00 AM CDT live from the National Tropical Weather Conference. More updates to follow.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

srainhoutx wrote:We're getting close to that time of year when attention turns to the Tropics and those of us attending the 2016 National Tropical Weather Conference received our Conference Information Package yesterday. Only 3 short weeks until we all depart for S Padre Island for another great Conference. Dr. Phil Klotzbach will issue his 2016 Atlantic Tropical First Seasonal Outlook on Thursday, April 14th at 9:00 AM CDT live from the National Tropical Weather Conference. More updates to follow.
"Conference information package"? I didn't get anything.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I did not recieve Conference information package yet. Maybe today.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I finished preparing my presentation. I'm discussing the "cone of uncertainty" - what it is, how it's changed over time, how it is almost completely misunderstood and misused, why I think it has outlived its usefulness, and a proposal for a new "cone". Have to find a good name for it, though. The "ISPOU" isn't catchy. ;-)
Texaspirate11

Wish I could go - I know y'all will have a great time :lol:
I am expecting great photos of Dr. Neil Frank!
Maybe next year I can talk about Accessibility and Functional Needs.
Y'all have a safe and wonderful time.
I'll leave the weather light on for you.
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Texaspirate11 wrote:Wish I could go - I know y'all will have a great time :lol:
I am expecting great photos of Dr. Neil Frank!
Maybe next year I can talk about Accessibility and Functional Needs.
Y'all have a safe and wonderful time.
I'll leave the weather light on for you.
I am sure there will be many, many pictures taken this year. I actually worked on a slight bug in my digital camera yesterday to get ready. A week from this Wednesday we all will be flying down to beautiful South Padre Island and here's hoping for warm and pleasant weather while we are there. Last year wxman57 and I could barely put our toes in the Gulf as the water was still a bit too chilly for our liking. I have been receiving e-mails this week from some of the other attendees, presenters as well as Alex Garcia and Tim Smith, the Conference organizers. We are expecting a great turn out this year and it will be good to see old Tropical Weather friends from across the United States at this great Conference. Katdaddy better keep us out of those late night Hospitality Room 'meetings' as we have an early start to the Thursday and Friday Conference sessions. ;)

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Some great discussions at the Hospitality Room 'meetings' and the time flies by. It was just 9PM a second ago and then bam 2AM. So looking forward to my 3rd conference and glad to attend David's 1st conference.
ticka1

can anyone go to this or you have to be invited? Hope alot of great information is shared and of course pictures.
BlueJay

wxman57 wrote:I finished preparing my presentation. I'm discussing the "cone of uncertainty" - what it is, how it's changed over time, how it is almost completely misunderstood and misused, why I think it has outlived its usefulness, and a proposal for a new "cone". Have to find a good name for it, though. The "ISPOU" isn't catchy. ;-)
Fascinating! I thought I understood the concept of the cone of uncertainty. Please fill us in on your findings. I do agree, "ISPOU" isn't as memorable. :)
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

One week from today, David and I will be departing IAH while Katdaddy and wxman57 will be departing HOU heading S for the almost one hour flight to S Padre Island for the 2016 National Tropical Weather Conference. Our Conference Schedule next Wednesday will start with a Meet and Greet Wednesday evening before the daily sessions begin Thursday Morning and continuing Friday. We will start posting pictures a week from today and keep everyone updated on the activities and newsworthy items as we look ahead to Tropical Season 2016!

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another update before we depart early next Wednesday for the 2016 National Tropical Weather Conference. A new feature this year will be a Facebook "LIVE" link that we will provide both here and on our TxWeatherBoard Facebook page. It will give those that are interested the opportunity to experience some of the great presentations to be given and other events throughout the Conference. We encourage our folks to follow us as we head to S Padre Island. I am hearing some 'early chatter' that there may be some news regarding the potential 2016 North Atlantic Hurricane Season activity and how the Gulf of Mexico may be one of the more favored areas for potential Tropical Development/Landfall as El Nino continues to slowly transition toward La Nina particularly when we near peak activity time in August and September.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Weather is looking good for the NTWC. Have to fly to New Orleans Monday morning for a presentation there at an Edison Electric Institute meeting then to Shell in Norco on Tuesday morning for a meeting then to Dow in Plaquemine for an executive briefing Tuesday afternoon. Hopefully, I'll make my 6:50pm flight out of New Orleans that evening so I can fly out the next morning with you guys!
  • Information