May: IAH Does Not Reach 90 During May. 1970 Mark Achieved

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
ticka1

With May fast approaching - time to start looking forward to what type of weather we will see during the month of May? Will it continue to get warmer and dryer?

Or will we see cooler weather with more showers/storms/rain during this month?

Post your thoughts here! :mrgreen:
BlueJay

I vote for a rainy May 2014.
But, that might not happen. We will see.
BlueJay

Ed Mahmoud wrote:I should go drop into the May thread and mention 0Z EPS control run has right at 1 inch, total, for 16 days through 13 May. And half of that was supposed to fall today, which it won't, or the road goes on forever and the drought will never end.

Until the monumental flood that causes incredible damage and loss of life, but the wild fires will come first. Maybe it'll be the Woodlands.

I am fearful that you could be right, Ed. We were lucky the last time. There is certainly plenty of fire fuel in my area. YIKES! ...
unome

current KBDI map

interactive here: http://sslmaps.tamu.edu/website/kbdi/viewer.htm
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately the next week or so looks relatively dry. There are indications that we could see another trough sweep across the central plains next week which could increase rain chances locally. As we head into May, I have less confidence in an amplified system making it this far south, but this winter has proven strong to say the least. Something to keep an eye on as we head into next week. On another note, while the short term weather doesn't look encouraging, long term signals do look at least a little positive. We will see how things turnout as we head into summer.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/AVN_12z/avnloopnew.html
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
BlueJay

Happy May Day to All!
jasons2k

I think drought and moisture maps may be behind reality. The NWS and Jeff's emails allude to drying grasses and possible future impacts to trees, etc. I can report that the reality here in Montgomery County is much worse than those maps imply. The pine trees are turning from yellow to now an orange and the massive needle drop is about to start. It's looks like 2011 again.
BlueJay

Is it too early to yell "MAYDAY! "MAYDAY!" ?
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

jasons wrote:I think drought and moisture maps may be behind reality. The NWS and Jeff's emails allude to drying grasses and possible future impacts to trees, etc. I can report that the reality here in Montgomery County is much worse than those maps imply. The pine trees are turning from yellow to now an orange and the massive needle drop is about to start. It's looks like 2011 again.
Keep in mind though that agriculture related droughts vary the most. It doesn't take much to make or fix that type of drought. I know that multiple types of droughts and their effects go into the drought monitor outputs.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
jasons2k

Random thought: I was in Austin 3 weeks ago, and it was greener there than here in H-town. Oh, and the wildflowers/bluebonnets were at their peak along 290 and just amazing.
  • Information