March: Comfortable Weekend Weather & Warming Trend

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mr. T wrote:And there's the upgrade to warning for Harris County. Wow!

I agree Mr. T. I did not expect them to pull the trigger so early. Wow. I was thinking, maybe later, but I suppose this disturbance coming (it is separate from the main system coming) convinced them.
SusieinLP

I'm hoping all fun is well north. I don't want to work Memorial Day and my poor poor plants...
Kingwood31

Nice to see some fellow kingwooders on the board tonight! :)
jasons2k

31 here too. Dew Point 23.
sambucol

Baytown is at 32 according to the Weather Bug app on my phone.
Mr. T

Paul Robison wrote: There goes our electricity!

We'll need accumulations over 0.25" to be concerned about that. This is not in the forecast currently.
TeamPlayersBlue

Temp 34.5F
DP 27.1

All we need is precip here. That shower that passed by helped alot
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Radar trends paint a rather ominous picture. Elevated storms out west continue to track east and they are initializing a lot earlier than models expected. Houston metro area should watch out because some of the highest totals could be in that general area. Wherever banding sets up will be key. Going to be an interesting night ahead.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
nuby3

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Temp 34.5F
DP 27.1

All we need is precip here. That shower that passed by helped alot
looking at Doppler radar estimates west of san Antonio that suggests some spots are getting over a half an inch in an hour under those little squalls. They are EXTREMELY localized little spots, but, I see a lot of .2-.5 totals already and that is concerning
Mr. T

Andrew wrote:Radar trends paint a rather ominous picture. Elevated storms out west continue to track east and they are initializing a lot earlier than models expected. Houston metro area should watch out because some of the highest totals could be in that general area. Wherever banding sets up will be key. Going to be an interesting night ahead.

Yeah. The heaviest bands are moving right toward the metro with temps 32 to 34 from NW to SE.
cristina6871

I looked at them - it looks like it might just "skirt" Spring and Woodlands......or am I looking at it wrong.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone in Austin please update the board what you get in the next couple of hours because that will be important for us downstream. Thanks!
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Portastorm

Andrew wrote:Radar trends paint a rather ominous picture. Elevated storms out west continue to track east and they are initializing a lot earlier than models expected. Houston metro area should watch out because some of the highest totals could be in that general area. Wherever banding sets up will be key. Going to be an interesting night ahead.

I'm wondering if the earlier onset of precip means we dodge somewhat of a bullet here in Austin. Temps still in the mid 30s. If this disturbance is the leading edge of the upper level system approaching from the west ... perhaps the heaviest precip occurs on the front end and we end up with less frozen stuff. Just speculating.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update from Jeff regarding the new Winter Storm Warnings just issued:

Winter Storm Warning issued for Harris, Liberty, Polk, Walker, and San Jacinto counties in additional to previous warned counties

Things going downhill very quickly this evening. Surface temperatures already freezing across northwest Harris County and significant precipitation approaching from the west. BUSH IAH is already 33 with a dewpoint of 25 leaving plenty of room for evaporational cooling into the upper 20’s. Models have been and continue to be way too warm and suspect onset of freezing precipitation in the next 1-2 hours which requires the move up start time of the warning to 900pm.

Will bump ice accumulation into the .10-.20 inch range north of I-10 given earlier onset of precipitation. Think temperatures will likely fall into the upper 20’s north of US 59 tonight making for efficient ice accumulation. Looking at radar trends west of the area showing significant convection…am concerned about potentially moderate to at times heavy freezing rain in the warning area.

Will update again by 1000pm given the potential more significant impacts we are facing.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Portastorm

Andrew wrote:Anyone in Austin please update the board what you get in the next couple of hours because that will be important for us downstream. Thanks!

I'll keep y'all posted ... at the moment, hearing thunder at the house with convection approaching from the west/southwest. Temperature is 36 degrees.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well Mr. T., that answered our reasoning as to why HGX pulled the trigger earlier than we first figured (9 pm versus 11 pm). This might be a long night for many in the Houston metro area. Please folks, stay tuned to all outlets. Use your best judgement. Be safe.
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

This is setting up to be an interesting event that seems to be unfolding quite earlier than models predicted across Central and SE TX. This could really end up being a significant winter event for some folks. Be safe everyone!
Blake
Boomer Sooner
Brandy3835

Do you think Jefferson County will be upgraded to a warning?
sambucol

and Chambers?
ndale

Portastorm wrote:

I'm wondering if the earlier onset of precip means we dodge somewhat of a bullet here in Austin. Temps still in the mid 30s. If this disturbance is the leading edge of the upper level system approaching from the west ... perhaps the heaviest precip occurs on the front end and we end up with less frozen stuff. Just speculating.
Srain mentioned in a post ealier today about a secondary disturbance around Del Rio at the time. I thought that is what this activity is to be followed later tonight by the short wave that was over Tucson at the time. Anything falling here in Pflugerville may be a problem, we are sitting at 32 degrees right now.
  • Information