Planting Forecasts. Come Talk Gardening!

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
texaskaz

With tomatoes being sold in all garden shops now,many are buying and with the nice weekend weather planting them. I usually plant mine on Presidents' Day every year, but this year it is still too cold. I am keeping my tomato seedlings inside still for at least a week still, maybe two. Tomatoes will die under 40 degrees and really need it to be about mid 60s. They won't set pollen good after it gets 90 or nighttime temps being over 70.

With this in mind..what are the next 2-3 week projections on :

Lo Temp, rainfall, wind and humidity

If we could also get a head up "LAST FROST" that would be great too so we can start cutting off all the dead stuff!
Last edited by srainhoutx on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Normal Topic
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Some long-range predictors would suggest a good potential for another hard freeze or two, perhaps even into March. No early planting this year.
texaskaz

Wxman..thank you so much! Really appreciate it.
SusieinLP

Wow...the thought of possible hard freezes into March....Not what my garden wants to hear..Of course hard freezes kill bugs so....
ticka1

I guess that means I need to push back my gardening to mid or late March. I usually try to have it in by March 14-17th.

Thanks for this thread!
The Hippy

I always planted my gardens after a mesquite tree had started blooming..It never freezes after that sign. If you don't have one, have a buddy in Austin, Corpus, San Antonio give you the mesquite blooming situation..
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

I have stuff growing in my kitchen I started in early Jan...too cold this winter for early planting...will probably wait until March (mid) to put it out unless I build a small greenhouse over each plant. Hard winter...one of the hardest in years, following one of the hottest and driest summers in years
txflagwaver

There used to be a Gardening forum....
RosieSue

Hey TX. A gardening forum would be really nice.
kayci

So, are there any ideas as to WHEN (or approximate) the last freeze will be?
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

kayci wrote:So, are there any ideas as to WHEN (or approximate) the last freeze will be?
Chances of another hard freeze are diminishing but not gone. Give it another 2-3 weeks until we get out of the current cross-Polar flow. Maybe by the 2nd week of March.
kayci

wxman57 wrote:
kayci wrote:So, are there any ideas as to WHEN (or approximate) the last freeze will be?
Chances of another hard freeze are diminishing but not gone. Give it another 2-3 weeks until we get out of the current cross-Polar flow. Maybe by the 2nd week of March.

Ok, thanx! Now I know when to book my flight back home from Tahiti!!!! ;)
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

For all you gardeners, I think it's safe to say you can plant your spring/summer gardens now. Threat of a hard freeze is over. Still a slight chance of a light freeze, but that's about it.

wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Not much change today. Lost that 75F on the 13th, though:

wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Some updated GFS temperature forecasts for the next 15 days. Not very encouraging if you're ready for spring. But it's possible the GFS is underestimating the warming this Fri-Sun. The ECMWF seems to suggest significantly warmer weather than the GFS is for next weekend. Regardless, it looks like our last flirt with 32F will be Wednesday morning.

BigNorthSide

I finally got to till the ground on Sunday. What a short window it was though. I usually plant based on zone 3 but this year it may be a good idea to plant based on zone 2 since it has been so much cooler. What do you think??
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BigNorthSide wrote:I finally got to till the ground on Sunday. What a short window it was though. I usually plant based on zone 3 but this year it may be a good idea to plant based on zone 2 since it has been so much cooler. What do you think??
Zone 3 is fine:
texaskaz

I started hardening off my tomatoes last few weeks. Was more worried about wind burn then cold. I started planting them Friday as the moon phase gardening guide said this weekend was ideal. Correct. The soft rain yesterday was awesome for the newly planted.
I am about 3 weeks behind the usual planting.
texaskaz

I am looking for a sort of chart showing how much light we get by day and month. Say for the last year or two. Is there a place to find that? Thanks
unome

texaskaz wrote:I am looking for a sort of chart showing how much light we get by day and month. Say for the last year or two. Is there a place to find that? Thanks

yes there is: http://www.climate-charts.com/Locations ... 143001.php

you can select another location here: http://www.climate-charts.com/World-Cli ... x-Map.html

there's not a huge difference in SE TX, because we are closer to the equator
  • Information