February: Calm Weather To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

This native Floridian isn't trying to be Debbie Downer. I'm not a "northerner" - just self-aware. :) Just trying to be a realist. 1-2" of slush for a couple of hours is WWA material. Save the winter storm warnings for a situation that really means business. Otherwise the general public will always second guess the NWS. Just my $.02.

It shouldn't make seeing a little white outside any less fun. :)
jasons2k

Ed Mahmoud wrote: Drivers that don't see snow every Winter, and the elevated sections of some highways in Austin, such as I-35 (San Antonio, for that matter) icing/slushing, it could be fairly high impact, although the weekend helps some.
And road impacts such as that are precisely the reason/criteria for winter weather advisories.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

jasons wrote:This native Floridian isn't trying to be Debbie Downer. I'm not a "northerner" - just self-aware. :) Just trying to be a realist. 1-2" of slush for a couple of hours is WWA material. Save the winter storm warnings for a situation that really means business. Otherwise the general public will always second guess the NWS. Just my $.02.

It shouldn't make seeing a little white outside any less fun. :)
I guess you haven't seen what a little ice can do on the elevated areas of I-35 in the Austin Metro. Of course you went to Texas Tech and saw real snow, but I digress...Let them enjoy the moment... :lol:
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

DFW 1989, 1990, Ice Bowl 1993 (home for the holiday), 2000, 2003, 2004...yes, Ice is no fun.
Last edited by jasons2k on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Portastorm

Jason, I suggest you brush up on your NWS terminology. ;)

WSW are issued when the precipitation is considered heavy. Seen the radar lately out in the warned area? Here's a link if you don't remember the terms:

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories/s794c.htm

Just sayin' ...
jasons2k

Winter Weather Advisories: Issued for accumulations of snow, freezing rain, freezing drizzle, and sleet which will cause significant inconveniences and, if caution is not exercised, could lead to life-threatening situations.

That's exactly what this is...and the radar returns are exaggerated due to the sleet. ;)
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

hriverajr wrote:
jasons wrote:
* TIMING...6 AM TO 6 PM.
* MAIN IMPACT...MOTORISTS ENCOUNTERING ONE TO TWO INCHES OF SNOW
ON LOCAL ROADS...BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES
A Winter Storm Warning for that? Really? That's the kind of fodder than makes northerners laugh at us in amusement. :)
We kind of laugh when you northerners have heat advisories for 95 degree weather in the summer :)
Nice video, hriverajr...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXMK6cxMH84
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Portastorm

jasons wrote:Winter Weather Advisories: Issued for accumulations of snow, freezing rain, freezing drizzle, and sleet which will cause significant inconveniences and, if caution is not exercised, could lead to life-threatening situations.

That's exactly what this is...and the radar returns are exaggerated due to the sleet. ;)
Aye carumba! You and wxman57 are two peas in a pod! :lol:

Steve and I will let EWX know that you disapprove of their actions this morning.
hriverajr
Pro Met
Pro Met

Where the hec is wxman57?
jasons2k

I'm certain they will take notice :roll:

In all seriousness, enjoy the fun. I hope you guys in Austin do get to see some white.
  • Information